Chapter 3: The Best Friend

Stella Knight

I went to bed around 9 pm, and woke up in the morning around 10 am. Rose should be getting her around 4pm. I'm going to make Rosemary a cake, which means I have 5 hours, till she comes.

I get up and change out of my pajamas and into a tank and shorts. Grabs a cup of water and gathers my meds that I need to take. I take my medicine just as Tony and Xander came downstairs. Tony and Xander both say at the same, "Good Morning!" I set my cup down on the counter and give a little head nod.

"You guys can sit. I'm just about to bake a cake for Rosemary, for when she gets here." I tell them, they nod and sit on the stools. I grab all the dry and wet ingredients, mixing bowls, mixing utensils, and cake pan. I set the oven to 350°F, mix all the ingredients, spray the pan, and then pours the batter into the pan. When my oven is ready, I put the pan into the oven and set the time 35 minutes. "What kind of cake you are making?" Xander asks. I told them chocolate, and I swear I saw them both drool.

I get some cat food, into a cup, and put it in Solaris bowl. "Should I do chocolate flavored frosting or orange chocolate flavored?" I asked myself, but Tony and Xander answer back, "Chocolate." I start giggling, "Gee, thanks, Stella." I tell them sarcastically, they laugh. I make chocolate buttercream frosting, and store it in a container then put it in my refrigerator. "You silly willies want anything to drink? Lets say an alcoholic beverage, or non-alcoholic?" I ask. They look at each other and shrug. "Alcoholic will do," Tony said, and Xander nods, and asks, "but how do you know to make alcoholic beverages?" I'm not sure I should tell them, but if I don't Tony will know something is up. "When dad had parties, I had to serve the drinks. He made me take a course at a community college." After I told, both their faces looked upset.

I make both of them an Alabama Sunset, and hand the drinks to the men. I look at them, "Go on... Try it." I tell them, and they take a sip and smile.

I turn around, go to my room, and get out my diary. I start writing in it, about how happy I am Rosemary is coming here. About how much I'm practically in love with Xander. About how my mother and brother are the only family I love and care about now. All the feelings about my father, the one who didn't want to pay for his breast cancer sick daughter, and just want to buy a shit load of crap for his bitchy girlfriend, Debra.

I start hyperventilating, and I knocked my diary and phone off the bed. "I'm okay." I announce, and start breathing slowly.

Xander comes and checks on me anyways, and sees my diary and phone on the floor. He gives me a look like he doesn't believe me.

I get up and leave my room. I pick up my stuff later, but I do need my phone. I go back to get my phone and see Xander reading my diary. I knock it out of his hands, "Seriously?" He looks at me be withered, concerned, and worried.

I pick it up, and then put it in my nightstand while I glare at him. After that I leave, to go back to my kitchen area, and check on my cake.

He comes back out a few minutes later because I think he stood there in shock for a few, especially after reading some of the words. Shit! He might know I have cancer now. He sits back down, takes a few sips of his drink, and then looks at me again.

I sit in my kitchen talking with my brother until the timer beeps, then I turn around, take the cake out with oven mitts, set it down to let it cool. "That cake looks yummy!" Tony says excitingly. I give a tiny smile, "Yes, but none for you." I say, then stick out my tongue.

"I'm going to the store later to get some salmon and other things. Either of you want to come with to help me?" I ask. They look at each other to decide, and Tony lifts his eyebrow. "I'll go." Xander said with a smile. I start making my grocery list. I know that Tony knows how I feel about Xander because I remember telling him.

I stand up, and gesture them to get up. "Up, up. Come on. I got to get to the store. Tony, you need to clean the guest room upstairs. No flowery candles, Rose hates them. She prefers fruity smells, like me. She is bringing her own sheets, and her dog." I tell and say to him. He gets the most adorable 'O' face. "Yes, she has a German Shephard, and, no, I'm not telling you, his name." I tell him and laugh. I go to my room to get changed, and come out in a long sleeve, shorts, and sandals. "Okay come on Xander.

I grabbed my car keys, my phone, and my wallet. Feed Solaris really quick, and went upstairs, out the front door to my 2022 RAV4. I unlock my car, open the driver's side door, and get in and start it up. Xander comes out of the house after giving Tony a bro-hug. I got no clue what they talked about, or why. Xander finally gets in the car, and winks at me. HE WINKS AT ME. Like what?

I back up, and drive off. We head to the store. Once we go there, I turned off my car, got out, locked it, and went inside to get my groceries. I walk inside the store, and I'm met with a very messy store.

After I've got everything from the store that I needed, and could find, we headed home. Xander carried everything inside. Tony is staring at me funny, and of course I stare back 'why are you staring at me like that?' "Leave the salmon, lemon, salad fixings, and the Caesar dressing. Please, and thanks. Now do me a huge favor you dummies, and go away so I can cook." I say.

When they left, I started cooking. I put on a soft music, and started to dance while cooking the salmon. I cut up the lettuce, tomatoes, sweet onion, carrot; I put it all in a larger bowl with salad spoons, and toss it to mix it up. I pour in 1 ½ cups of Caesar dressing, and re-toss it before covering it with saranwrap. I put the salad in the fridge, and go to flip the salmon. I grab a few lemons, and a knife and cutting board. I start slicing one lemon to little slices, cuts a lemon in half, and squeezes it over the salmon. Oh god, I forgot how great I can cook. This fucking smells so delicious. I make fresh lemonade to have with dinner.

Mom got home just as I was starting to cook. I hear the doorbell go off, and as I was about to turn and go get it Rosemary walks in with Spike. "DAMN bitch, it smells yummy in here!" Rose says, and I start laughing. "TONY GET YOUR ASS DOWNSTAIRS AND SET THE TABLE!" I yell for him. I hug my best friend, and pet Spike. I get out the peanut butter, and carrot. I dip the carrot into the peanut butter, and take it out. Then I give it to Spike, and he just eats it up. I giggle when Tony and Xander finally make it down to set the table. "We will unload the moving truck after we eat... well the boys will." I tell Rose, she cackles. "Get five plates, the nice plates please. Five forks, and five cups. The nice ones. If I see any crappy silverware, plates, or cups, I'm smacking you with my spatula." I tell the boys, and I swear they looked a little scared.

Once they got everything, they set the table, Tony went and got mom. I grabbed the salad from the refrigerator and handed it to Xander and pointed to the table. Gave the fresh made lemonade to Tony, then point to the table. I told Rose to go sit in the middle next to me. Once everyone was seated, I grabbed the pan with the five cooked salmon, turned off the stove, and walked to the table. I put one fillet salmon on each person plate, then went to go put the pan in the sink before going to sit down in my chair.

"Well... Dig in." I say. I'm looking hopeful that they like it. They spoon out the salad onto their plates, and get some lemonade. They all take a bite, and the only mouth that doesn't drop is Rose's. I giggle, and dig in myself.

After we all got done eating, I go to the kitchen with all the dirty dishes and wash them before putting them into the dishwasher. "Anything with Stella on the box or taped to it, is mine. So, boys, go empty it." I tell Tony and Xander. They go outside and start, and I take Rosemary downstairs to my apartment. I set her down in a chair to sit, take out the frosting, and frost the cake. Serve it to Rose, "Here a go Rose. None for Spike though please. It's your favorite flavor too." I say smiling.

Tony and Xander get all my things down here, and all of Rosemary stuff upstairs in the guest bedroom.

Xander asks me, "Um... Stella, can I talk to you in private?" All shit I'm in trouble. "Sure." I reply and take him into my room.

"So, what's up?" I ask, not knowing what's going to happen. "I've had a crush on you since I was 16 and you were 12. Since you been back though, even though its been two days, I've known that I love you." He tells me, and I am shocked with my mouth open.

"I've been in love with you since I was 12. I've known what love was because of my grandparents. I just always thought you didn't like me." He chuckles at what I said, moves closer to me. He bends down and kisses me. My lips move softly against him perfectly. Shit! I'm going to have to tell him. I didn't notice I stopped kissing him, and he moves back giving me a worried look. I give a small smile.