Chapter 13

Apparently, Nikolaidis also received an invitation to visit the capital. Not only that, he was summoned by the Emperor himself. Emperor Maghnus wanted to personally thank the Duke for his success in controlling the rebellion along the western border, thus invited him to a private banquet. The Emperor also wants to meet me and join them on the banquet!

I thought I would have a relatively peaceful visit to the Empire's capital and just attend the twin princesses' tea party. However, now I think something is going to happen. Estelle nervously fumbles with the silver ring Nikolaidis gifted to her as they arrive at the entrance of the Ghesquire Imperial Palace. I really hope this won't be the moment when they'll accuse me of being a witch!

A man wearing flashy colorful clothes with dark blue hair opens the carriage door for them, "welcome to the Ghesquire Imperial Palace, your graces!"

Nikolaidis gets off the carriage first and helps Estelle. She steps out and looks around. She briefly forgets about her anxiety as she's stunned at how majestic and beautiful the castle looks. She thought Blanchard Castle was already big and nice but it's nothing compared to how grand the Imperial Palace is.

"Allow me to introduce myself. I am Rendon Labecci, one of his Imperial Majesty's aides," the man gives them a very pompous bow. He reminds me of a peacock, Estelle thinks as she bows in return.

"Pleased to meet you Rendon," Nikolaidis greets him.

"The pleasure is all mine, your grace. It is an honor to be the Duke and Duchess' assistant during your stay here at the Capital. If there's anything my lord or my lady needs, please do not hesitate to ask," Rendon says very enthusiastically.

"I will now escort you to your room," the aide leads the way into the palace. Their personal servants from the Blanchard Duchy, including Delia, also follow carrying their luggage.

Why am I so anxious? Estelle continues to thumb the ring on her finger as they walk behind Rendon. Nikolaidis gently takes her hand, "are you alright, Estelle? You don't look well and your hand is cold."

"I'm okay, just a little tired from staying in the carriage for too long," Estelle reassures him. Nikolaidis looks at her worriedly but doesn't say anything more.

The aide stops outside a large double door, "usually, guests would stay at the Emerald Palace but the Princesses personally requested that your graces must have your room in the Main Palace. The Carvelho Ducal Family must indeed be very special guests."

He opens the door and continues, "I hope this will be comfortable enough for the two of you, my lord and my lady." 

They enter an exquisitely decorated room.

"Thank you for escorting us, Rendon. I'd like to request for a doctor to come and check my wife please," Nikolaidis speaks.

"Oh my, is the Duchess unwell? Let me call for the doctor straight away!" Rendon immediately starts walking.

"No! There's no need for that Rendon. I'm fine, I really am!" Estelle stops him. She looks at Nikolaidis, trying to show him that's she's perfectly healthy.

The Duke places a hand on her forehead then her neck, checking if she doesn't have a fever. He caresses her face, "are you sure, Estelle?"

"Yes..."

But if you keep touching me this way I'm going to burn up!

"Hmm... Okay, no need for a doctor then. You may go, Rendon."

"Please let me now if you need anything, your excellency," the aide bows before leaving.

~~▪~~ ~~▪~~ ~~▪~~ ~~▪~~ ~~▪~~