CHAPTER 15

Mia's POV

I sat on the hospital chair crying my eyes out. I was feeling so scared and guilty knowing that we were in this position because of me. I hate myself.

"Mommy, please don't cry." I heard Leon's wavering voice next to me. His little hand tapped my back and I started crying more.

I calmed myself for the sake of my children and wiped my cheeks. I felt exhausted.

"I'm okay, baby," I said as I kissed his cheek.

"Is papa going to be okay?" He asked, laying still on my chest. Fresh tears leaked out of my eyes.

"I don't know. Doctors are taking care of him." I explained. August was in surgery and I didn't know if he was going to survive. The doctor said there was a really small chance.

It's all my fault.

"Are you hungry, baby?" I asked him. He nodded curtly.

I started getting up when I saw Valerio with the bags of food, heading in our way. I sighed in relief. I was glad he bought us food because I didn't have any strength to move.

"Uncle brought you to eat, baby." I smiled a little. Leon's eyes lit up when Valerio set the bags on the chair next to us.

"I didn't know what you would like so I bought few different things," Valerio said.

"Thank you so much."

Leon rummaged through the bags and pulled out a packed croissant. It was his favorite with chocolate.

"Thank you, uncle Valerio." He politely said.

"No problem, buddy. You have a juice box too." Valerie said.

I put my face in my hands feeling dizzy suddenly. I knew that I couldn't take much stress. But with the situation going on, it was unavoidable.

I felt a rough hand on my shoulder and looked up at Valerio.
"You should eat something." I shook my head.

"I can't eat anything right now."

"He will be fine. It's not the first time he was shot." If Valerio thought he lightened up the mood, he was wrong.

"Doctors said he was shot three times! Three! No one can endure it. But still, I'm not losing hope." I explained.

"You're right, but he will fight it. And you need to take care of the child in your stomach."

I nodded and decided to eat something. I took a box of crackers and a bottle of water.

I'm such a bad mother. I forgot to take care of my kids. Leon needs me. The baby needs me. I have to stay sane.

"I called Laura. She will be with you here." Valerie said.

"Thank you." I was glad that Laura would be here with me. I needed someone by my side.

***

After hours of surgery, I was still feeling numb. I just wanted to know if he was going to be okay. But nobody hasn't gotten out yet.

Leon was tired after eating and by the time Laura came, he was fast asleep. She wanted me to go to the house and get some rest but I refused. How could I leave him all alone here?

"Mia, don't be stubborn. You need to rest." She ordered.

"I can't leave him. What if they finish while I'm home?" I said as I rubbed Leon's back. He slept soundly and it made me feel bad to see him here sleeping.

''If that happens, then you can return whenever you want. Valerio will be there to bring you back.'' She reasoned.

''I can't, Laura. It's all my fault and the least I can do is be here with him. I wish I could change the past.'' My eyes became watery again. I didn't even have control of my emotions anymore.

''I understand. I will be here with you.'' She smiled at me.

''Thank you. But can you do me a favor?''
''Sure.''

''I don't want Leon to be here. Can you bring him home and stay with him, please?'' I asked ashamed. She helped me so many times and I still ask her for favors.

''Of course. You don't need to worry.'' She said and cradled Leon in her arms.

''Lorena is at the house. If you don't want to stay, you can tell her to take care of him. I don't want to be a burden for you.'' I explained.

''Oh, shush. When were you a burden for me? I love taking care of him. He makes my day better.'' She chuckled.

''How can I repay you, Laura?''

''Best friends don't repay to each other. Please don't feel this way, Mia.'' I nodded my head at her words.

''Thank you for everything.''

I was thinking about everything that happened and it makes me so overwhelmed. I brought my child's life in danger and now the man that I love is fighting for his life.

"Miss Santiago?" I heard a soothing voice, making me open my eyes. A nurse was in front of me and I recognized her as the one who was first taking care of August.

"Yes? Is August alright?!" I panicked.

"The surgery went well, but the doctor will give you more details. Please be patient." I nodded my head.

I sighed in relief and leaned back on the chair. He is going to be fine. We are going to be fine.

"Thank you." I smiled.

I sat in my chair eagerly waiting for doctor to arrive. I prayed that something wasn't wrong but the nurse said he was going to be fine.

I stood up from the chair when the doctor in blue attire got out. The poor man looked exhausted but smiled enthusiastically.

"Miss Santiago, Mr. Odak is going to be fine. The surgery went well and he is in the recovery room." He said and I sensed a but following. Something was wrong, right?

"But?" I asked.

"He lost lots of blood. He was shot three times in very dangerous places. We never met anyone strong like him but his body fought to survive. He will need to heal and therefore we need to put him on medicine. He will not wake up any sooner." He explained.

I listened to everything that he said and in a moment my body shut off. I was so happy that he made it but he was suffering. Because of me.

Light cramps in the lower section of my stomach made me sit back on the chair.
"Are you alright, Miss?" The doctor asked.

"I have cramps," I said as they became stronger. This isn't happening. Please, God.

"Are you on your period? I can have a nurse bring you some pills." He asked.

"No. I'm five weeks pregnant." I said.

The doctor called the nurse over with the wheelchair and the last thing I felt was being transferred on the bed before passing out.

A/N

Thank you for voting and commenting.