Chapter Twenty-Four: Ailing Prince

"Let's go, my dearest (y/n)! You might get sick!" Nikolas frowned, reaching a hand out for me to grab. I pushed myself back and shook my head no, gripping on my hand tightly with clenched fists. How could he even say that, to go back with him and pretend like nothing happened. A selfish man.

"Nikolas, its better for you to go back to the palace. You can catch a cold, as mother-" Nikolas cut him off by sighing loudly and rolling his eyes, "I wasn't talking to you, Aleksander. I'm talking to my wife! Get your hands off of her!" Nikolas yelled and began to walk towards us.

I darted my eyes down to see Aleksander holding my hand, grasping it tightly. Yet, it felt soft and gentle. The warmth of his hand made me stop from the little shivers of the cold rain. Aleksander didn't seem to notice as he refrained his hand back in a halt.

Nikolas took me by the wrist and pulled me forward, touching his wet vest as he coughed. "Never, ever! Touch my (y/n), ever again!" Nikolas struggled to let out, coughing more violently in every word. He loosened his grip on my arm, taking my chance to yank my arm away from him.

Nikolas didn't reacted and was too occupied on coughing, his cheeks flushed with red and his body quivering from the cold. A strike of concern was obvious in both of my and Aleksander's faces. "Nikolas?" Aleksander called out his name, catching him with both hands before he crashed on the floor.

Panic was written all over Aleksander's face as he kneeled there with his brothers unconscious body. "I'll...I'll ask for help!" I yelled, running towards the exit of the greenhouse in a hurry, "Stay with Nikolas, lady (y/n)! I wouldn't want you getting sick either," he protested in reply, I craned my head to the side with an unsure expression.

Aleksander heave Nikolas off of the floor and settled him on the white, stone bench and gaze back at me. "I assure you that you would be fine, lady (y/n)." Aleksander nod his head, trying to calm me down from whatever thought was running in my head. I took a deep breath and sighed, "Please be careful, your highness." I finally agreed while I curtsied.

Aleksander went swiftly out the door and into the pouring rain, he ran until the fog swallowed him whole, unable to see his figure.

I kneeled beside Nikolas, putting a hand to his forward as it felt hot to the touch. He groaned with furrowed his brows, hearing him mumble out my name in a call. Seeing his face now, I could see nothing but tainted darkness. Cruel and a crook.

I should have told them, maybe then we could've fled the country in those five days. Things could've changed, and I wouldn't be here with a demon. The night we dance, was the night I danced with the devil.

I retrained my hands away from his face and pulled it close to my chest with a scowl, wishing to strangle him and take out my anger. But what tragedy would it fall on me. From being the future queen, to being a mariticide and a beheaded widow. Would it be worth it to burn in the fires of hell? probably.

I glared at Nikolas and turned away and jumped, hearing Aleksander's call. I look up to see him in his soaking attire and two guards beside him with umbrellas. "Ah, you're here. Good. Please take Nikolas to his chamber and call the royal physician." Aleksander ordered, taking Nikolas back to the palace in a haste.

"You must be freezing, lady (y/n). My apologies for taking too long." he bowed his head low with sincere hinting on his voice, "Oh, it's fine! Really." I shook my head in disagreement, "Then shall we go back?" Aleksander raised a brow, opening the umbrella.

I nod my head as he raised the umbrella above our heads while he took his distance to avoid soaking my own dress. As we got out of the greenhouse, my eyes wandered around while we walked. The sense of tranquility I felt was charming, and it took my mind off of the loathe I felt deep inside. The rain felt nice, and the humid smell felt nice with each step we took towards the palace.

I turned around to look at Aleksander and widen my eyes open in surprise to see him letting himself get soaked in the rain without a care. He turned to me with a flustered look, "I'm very sorry, lady (y/n). I was in such a hurry, I took the smaller umbrella." Aleksander explained while pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Oh, that's quite fine, your highness. Let's share the umbrella, you might catch a cold from the rain." I chuckled, seemingly smiling eve after what had happened. "I certainly can't, lady (y/n). I might ruin your dress." he replied back softly.

I pulled on his sleeve, making him stagger towards me, "I have plenty of pretty dresses, there's no need to worry your highness." I answered, holding my gaze forward.

I was left on the bedroom chamber with Nikolas. Unfortunately, the royal physician couldn't make it to the palace due to the heavy rain and thunderstorms so the maids was left in charge of taking care of him as I was surely not nursing him after what he did.

But at least one thing was good, and that was thee hot cocoa that Aleksander gave me. He was too busy roaming the castle floors though, so he gave it to me through Sophie. "How is he?" I finally asked, turning around to look at Nikolas who was being nursed by one of the older maids in the palace.

"He'll be better soon, my lady. He just needs to rest a lot more to get back to his highness's perfect health." she replied back with a smile on her face, "His highness has always been like this since he was a child, oh how old I feel looking at him. Last time I saw, he was just a little prince." one chuckled while she reminisce of the past.

They seemed to be quite fond of the prince since he was little. "Her majesty would always make him train in the garden, even if it was pouring rain outside and would always come back sick, I pity his highness." the old lady went on with a sigh, damping the warm towel on his head.

"Is her majesty always like that, to Nikolas?" I asked out of curiosity, butting in on their conversation. Eyes fell on me and they nod their head, "He was such a sweet boy. I suppose violence does in fact, change a man."

"Her majesty has always had the most creative punishments for his highness." they explained with a hint of sadness while I listened. I gaze back to Nikolas and turned back to the table, wishing to not see his face no longer as I sipped the hot beverage.

"(Y/n)," I heard Nikolas say faintly, making me flinch from my sit and froze in place. "I want (y/n), where is she?"