Chapter 2

Pepper was so scared. She stayed home alone with Loki and Michelle, and they could only guess what was going on in the lab, or where they had kidnapped her Peter, and whether Tony and the others had found her little boy. Her gaze darted between the clocks on the wall and the door; she urged the clock hands to move faster, and she could already see the door open and her lively and healthy son walking through. The waiting was unbearable, the minutes passed, and the silence grew longer. Neither of them tried to have a conversation. Loki stood stiff as a statue resting his hips against the kitchen counter, looking thoughtfully; Michelle bit her lips, placing her hands alternately on the table and then back in her lap, casting furtive glances at Peter's mother, as if to make sure she was still welcome here; and Pepper sat with her head bowed, praying to all the gods to be heard, and Peter was soon at home.

"I have to get out," Michelle broke the silence after a moment, maybe it was a moment, maybe an eternity. Pepper just nodded silently, and Loki escorted the young girl. MJ went out into the hall and walked for a moment to calm her frightened thoughts and pounding heart. It's been too long. Where have they been for so long?

And as if on call, the door opened and Tony and Bruce entered, carrying Peter, who was apparently unconscious. Michelle froze. This sight of him... was something terrible. Perhaps she had never experienced such fear, such helplessness, seeing him in such a state. Yes, he was at home, but... for God's sake, he looked awful. His face pale, body motionless, he breathed shallowly. Tony nodded at Michelle but said nothing to her. Bruce stopped by her and quickly assured her that she didn't have to worry about Peter. Michelle hurried after them immediately. She just glanced quickly into the kitchen to inform Pepper and Loki that the others had returned. Pepper got up so loudly that she almost overturned her chair, and tears welled up in her eyes. She hugged the brown girl quickly before running to Peter's room to finally see her baby boy.

Everyone was inside. Peter lay motionless on his bed, Tony standing beside him, holding Pepper's shoulders, which was kneeling by his bed. Bruce was already checking his heart rate. And Michelle backed away slowly. Suddenly, doubts seized her. These people were Peter's family. But she was not one of them. They dated only for a short time, and she... should give them some space.

But then Natasha Romanov appeared and she sharply subsided her insecurities. In a moment they were both standing next to each other in Peter's room, watching his pale face anxiously. Michelle dared to look at the red-haired woman. She squeezed her arm. "Thank you, Agent," she whispered so that no one would hear.

Romanov gave her a smile, which she wasn't very used to. It surprised her herself. But then she replied, "No agent. It's Natasha for you. We're almost family, aren't we?"

•••

Pepper choked on tears and the suppressed anxiety that poured down her throat. She held Peter's hand and was looking at his face as if she was trying to wake him. But she didn't succeed. She felt the soothing weight of Tony's warm palms on her shoulders, and it was only because of him that she had not yet begun to be hysteric. Why does someone have to constantly hurt their Peter? Are they cursed? Will this bother them for the rest of their lives? Will he never get rid of this?

"I don't want to get you out of here, but it would really be best if you left me here with Peter alone," Bruce said suddenly, glancing at Pepper, who realized that it also applies to her. "I'm sorry, Pep. But you can see for yourself that he is more or less fine, he will sleep for a long time now, the organism has to gain new strength. And he needs absolute peace. He subconsciously feels your presence, your restlessness, and that doesn't help him much. I promise I will do everything in my power to help him. But I still have to examine him thoroughly to know what he is missing and what will be needed for treatment. But he is not in danger. He will be okay."

Pepper exhaled as if she was holding air in her lungs all the time. He will be okay. The words were like a warming balm for the soul. Bruce would never lie to her. It remained for Peter to wake up, and she'll be completely happy.

She felt a kiss on the scalp and closed her eyes for a moment. "Come on, Pep, we'll leave Bruce alone. We need to talk about what happened. And you're sure to want to be there."

"I don't know if I want to hear what they were doing to our boy," she whispered, but she got up and grabbed Tony's hand. "I'd have to find them all and kill them personally." Then she glanced at Peter quickly before everyone left his room.

Bruce exhaled for himself. "All right," he muttered. "Let's do this."

•••

Bruce joined the others in the kitchen after a while. He was tired, but he was smiling, assuring them that they were on a good way. Natasha kissed him and he felt like a schoolboy in love.

Everyone was discussing their situation, only Loki standing nearby, looking disinterested for the last few minutes. And now that Bruce had arrived, he had discreetly disconnected from them, and he, too, had headed for Peter's room. He hasn't been there yet. And the sight of the boy struck him, no matter what he thought.

He sat on his bed and stared into his face. "You really scared us, young man," he muttered, this time his stone mask disappeared completely. Peter's eyelids quivered as his eyes flickered back and forth, and he opened his lips dumbly as if gasping for breath or trying to say something. His muscles were tense and his body was cramping. Loki knew that he was struggling with a difficult and very lively nightmare.

Now he regretted not paying more attention to medicine in his youth. His mother tried to get him to learn it, but he refused. Such an art of magic was not noble enough for him. Now he knew how wrong he was. Nevertheless, he had some basics.

"I can't completely heal you," he whispered to Peter as he pressed one palm briefly against his hot forehead before sliding two fingers over his temples with both hands. He closed his eyes to concentrate. He connected with Peter's mind for a moment and felt great fear, pain, and confusion, his movements caressing his temples, a faint green glow gushing from his fingers. Peter's body slowly relaxed and the boy calmed down. He exhaled softly, his breath settling, and peace settled in his mind. Loki slowly opened his eyes and looked at him. He smiled contentedly at his work. "But at least I'll get rid of those nightmares." He squeezed his hand briefly.

"Rest."