Chapter 1 Part 3: The River's Edge

- - - -TAMAKI LODGE - - - -

      Scott is in his room, getting ready for the dance later tonight

Scott is in his room, getting ready for the dance later tonight. As at he looks at himself in the mirror he feels like he's missing something, he then grabs his Dad's suit jacket and puts it on. He gives a smirk as looks at himself in the mirror, "Fits like a glove" Scott says and he begins to head out to pick up his new friends.

- - - - RIVERDALE HIGH GYMNASIUM- - - -

    At Riverdale High, The Back to School Semiformal is in full swing. Archie, Betty, Scott and Veronica enter The Gymnasium where the dance is taking place. The Gymnasium is decorated with giant, blown-up pictures of Jason hanging around "Why do I get the feeling we're being watched" Veronica than jumps in to try and liven up the three teens.  "Guys, can't we just liberate ourselves from the tired dichotomy of jock/artist? Can't we, in this post James Franco world, be all things at once?" Archie, Betty and Scott take what she says ever so casually, Veronica than grabs Scott and pulls him away to give Betty and Archie some alone time.

Scott and Veronica stand next to each other as Scott notices Archie talking to Ms.Grundy. "Archie really is taking a interest in Ms.Grundy huh?" Scott ask Veronica, trying to make small talk. "Well we gotta start somewhere" Veronica says not paying it a second thought. Suddenly Cheryl gets on the stage and begins to speak in front of the crowd. "Good evening, friends. Are you all having a good time?" She says as the crowd begins to cheer "As honorary chairperson and de facto queen of tonight's semiformal, it is my great pleasure to introduce this evening's main entertainment. To know them is to be obsessed with them. Though they usually perform their own material, tonight, they're making an exception and debuting a cover of the song my parents claim they were listening to the night Jason and I were conceived. This one's for you, JJ. I give you Josie and the Pussycats" Cheryl than

As Josie and the Pussycats begin to play, all the students, including Betty and Archie begin to head the dance floor. Scott and Veronica are standing next to each other in awkward silence when Scott looks over to Veronica and speaks up to break the tension. "You wanna dance?" Scott asks Veronica "I'd be honored Scottykins" Scott leads Veronica to the dance floor and they begin to slow dance,  "Sorry about my two left, not that much of dancer actually" Veronica gives a chuckle at Scott's awkward charm, "Well in that case, Just follow my lead".

    They continue to dance until the song stops. In the distance, Cheryl is standing with her two friends observing the dance when her eyes catch Betty and Archie, "Make sure those two turtledoves come to my after-party." Her eyes than shift to see Veronica and Scott, "Veronica and Zebra-boy too. I'm in the mood for chaos."

                          - - - - THORNHILL- - - -

The After-Party is in full swing at Cheryl's family home at Thornhill, all the students, including Archie Betty Scott and Veronica, are at Thornhill mingling with the other students. Suddenly Cheryl walks in to gain everyones attention "It's game time at Chez Blossom, kiddies. We're going old-school tonight. Seven Minutes in Heaven" She said Who wants to tryst in the Closet of Love first? My vote is "A" for Archie. Anyone care to second it?" Archie is about to speak up but Reggie shoots him down. Scott is standing in the corner keeping to himself and observing what is happening. "All right. Gather round, kids. Let's see who's riding the ginger stallion tonight" The bottle begins to spin and the bottle and it lands in between Betty and Veronica

     "It's clearly pointing to... The new girl" Cheryl says with an almost sinister grin on her face "Um... I'm not doing this". That's up to you. But, if you don't, house rules decree the hostess gets to take your turn. Veronica looks up at Archie and they both reluctantly walk into the bathroom. Scott looks uncomfortable but not as noticeable as Betty is, who looks like her whole world has just shattered in front of her. Cheryl takes glee in this. "Don't look sad Betty, there's nothing wrong with coming in second place" Their are some snickers through out the room, which prompts Betty to get up and head for the door. Scott goes to chase after her, leaving Cheryl to have a slight look of guilt.

     Betty is rushing out of Thornhill, trying to hold back tears with Scott rushing behind her "Betty wait" Scott says and Betty turns around feeling embarrassed. "I understand how you feel Betty. that hurt and pain especially from people you trust, but you can't let people like Cheryl win." Betty smiles and look Scott in the eyes "You're a good man Scott, Never change" and Betty walks away and leaves the party, Scott is thinking about leaving too but doesn't know what to do. Suddenly he see Archie and Veronica rushing out. Archie ask Scott where Betty and went Scott doesn't answer. Archie then storms off to find Betty, while Veronica walks up to Scott. "Drive you home?" He asks Veronica and all she does is nod in silence.

- - - - THE PEMBROKE - - - -

Scott's Red Cadillac pulls up in front of the Pembroke. Throughout the whole ride from Thornhill to the Pembroke, Scott looks over at Veronica, who is obviously troubled and affected by the party. "Hey, you okay?" Scott asked Veronica, "Do you believe people can change?" She asked "Back in New York I was your typical mean girl, classic Regina George. but after my Dad got arrested I made a Lodge Woman vow that I would never revert back to my old ways. But being in closet, with Archie, it felt like old Veronica who I tried so hard to bury down was crawling her way back out"

Scott takes what Veronica says to her heart. He was a little bit angry at both of them, for hurting Betty, but seeing the regret on Veronica face, that anger went away quickly. "My Grandfather told me when I was a kid that it's not who we were that matters, it's who we're becoming that's important." Scott says" Now I never met the old Veronica, but I'm glad to have met the New Veronica" Veronica is touched by his words, and appreciates Scott not judging her. They say Goodnight to each other and Veronica gets out of Scott's car and enters the Pembroke

- - - - TAMAKI LODGE - - - -
Scott enters the cabin and is exhausted. He plops down on the easy chair, while unbuttoning his shirt. He rubs is eyes together and looks up at the portrait of his parents. Theirs a look on Scott's face that is a mix of emotion. A face that shows the combination of sadness, longing and anger, an emotion that he has not felt in years, an emotion he's tried to bottle away inside but now he doesn't know what to do with it,

- - - - SWEETWATER RIVER- - - -

Jughead VO By morning, everyone would be talking, texting, and posting about it. We'd all be feeling it. That the world around us had changed, maybe forever.

    That next morning, what seems like the whole town, is at sweetwater river where Kevin Keller and Moose Mason found the body of Jason Blossom with a bullet in his head. Archie was standing next to his Dad, Betty was standing next to both her parents, Veronica was standing next to her mom, a mysterious boy in a crown beanie was walking away from the seen and Scott was leaning on a tree with his hands in pocket and shades on.

Jughead VO :That Riverdale wasn't the same town as before. That it was a town of shadows and secrets now. On Monday, the autopsy on Jason's body would take place. And on Tuesday, halfway through fifth period, the first arrest would be made.

    Scott is looking out at the sadness and confusion on everyone's face as they roll Jason body to the ambulance. Scott had the urge to do something, but what could he do? He's just a kid. How can he make a difference?