007

april 29th, 2026
6:52 pm

SUNDAY COULDN'T FOCUS ON STUDYING

Her fingers tapped in a panicky rhythm against the wooden table she was sitting at in the library for law students.

And really how could she?

Her father was laying, terminally ill, in a hospital bed that was six hundred and eight miles from her and all she wanted to do is be by his bedside.

With a low sigh, Sunday closed the heavy textbook that depicted Civil Procedure in detail and then continued to tap her acrylic nails on the wood.

"Sunny," Jeanette said in hushed tone as she approached Sunday's table.

Sunday glanced up at her best friend and then leaned back into the sturdy chair, "What's up, Jeanie?"

"You're late for our dinner and you weren't picking up. I figured you would be here."

"Uh, that's right. My phone's on do not disturb." Sunday stood up and began to pack her things into her bag.

When the trio had first became friends, they had all made a promise to each other that no matter how busy their lives became in trying to develop their law careers, they would meet for dinner at a restaurant every Tuesday.

"Who's turn is it to pick?" Sunday asked as she walked to join Jeanette's side.

"Raf's. It's Brazilian food tonight."

"Damn, I kinda wanted a burger," Sunday shrugged as they reached the moderately crowded D.C street.

"But at least there's drinks." Jeanette grinned and lightly nudged her.

"At least there's drinks." Sunday agreed with a faint smile.

"You spoken to your dad today?" Jeanette asked as they turned the street to where The Grill From Ipanema, the closest Brazilian restaurant to them, was located.

"No. Noah said that the breathing treatments and chemo together take a lot out of him. Apparently, he slept for over seventeen hours yesterday."

Jeanette sighed and then hooked arms with Sunday, "I'm so sorry you're going through this, Sunny. I'm gonna ask my mom and her church to pray for him."

"I appreciate that," Sunday let her smile grow wider.

"I'm ready for mojitos." Jeanette exclaimed suddenly.