twenty-one

*9 months before*

MATTEO'S POV:

I slip through my all-black attire and roam around the apartment for any extras before we leave. My father's ball is being hosts today, which means I have to bring Davina in a den of fucking vipers.

This awful feeling keeps eating at me as we come closer to leaving. There could be a good possibility she finds out I'm supposed to murder her, but I highly doubt my father will let that happen.

We've been training for 2 months now, and surprisingly her skills have improved tremendously. Davina could probably wipe out a whole gang if she truly wanted to.

"Are you almost finished?" I knock on the door and hear the sounds of Davina shuffling in the bathroom.

"Yeah!" She calls out and I make my way into the kitchen.

She told me she found a dress a couple of weeks ago but refused to show me until she was fully ready.

I chug down a glass of water-thinking of smashing the glass between my hands to give an excuse of not attending tonight.

But before I could Andrea is walking in with his hair slicked back and a navy suit on. "Don't I look hot", he smirks at me and fiddles with the watch resting on his wrist.

"No", I roll my eyes and chug down more water-wishing it was whiskey.

"That is so rude dude I can't bel-"

I glance up at Andrea waiting for him to continue, but his mouth is hung open and eyeballs bulged.

I follow where his eyes are looking-when suddenly I feel my heart race and my palms sweat.

Davina walks into the room with a shimmery, pink dress formed down to the floor. The V line coming down far- having half of her breasts noticeable. The material crisscrossing against her stomach and blending into the dress only for a slit to appear down the side of her leg.

Her hair straighten-tucked behind her ears and flattened with an oil or gel. It hit her middle back and contrasted against her tan skin, with silver jewelry displayed.

I looked down and her painted toes were placed in diamond stilettos that I gifted to her just yesterday.

My eyes trail over every inch of her body. The way her curves stand out against the gown- or the way her hands curl around the silver clutch.

"Andrea", I grumble but never take my eyes off of her. "Get out."

When Andrea shuts the door behind him Davina grins and walks closer to me. "What do you think?" She twirls and I feel a genuine smile tug on my lips.

"I think that your the most irresistible woman I've ever laid my eyes on", I say through a dry throat because apparently water doesn't do shit when you're looking at the most beautiful girl in the world.

She blushes and tucks her head down," you look extremely handsome yourself."

"Darling", I say and see her eyes meet mine. "Come here."

She walks over and I place my arms around her waist. "You take my breath away", I smirk and she smiles like I just told her the most exciting thing ever.

After a moment of silence, I dip my finger under her chin and meet her eye. "What's wrong, love?"

"I'm nervous", she sighs and wraps her thin arms around my neck.

"Don't be", I shrug it off and place a kiss on her neck. "As long as you have this", I murmur and trail my hand underneath her dress and to her upper thigh. The black band of a thigh sheath molds under my fingertips as I graze the dagger sitting in its hold. "You'll be good."