Chapter 6

"I was in the fields since a young ass age."
~ Hood Rich by Lil Tjay

......

Summer White

......

Knock knock knock.

"Shit, he's here," Alice swallows as she stares at the door from the couch.

Sitting on the barstool, I stare at the door agonizing over the fact that I have to open it. Last night, I imagined that this would be easy, I would just make up a story and convince my dad that Kai and I will never be together again, but that dream shattered into pieces when I saw that Kai was trending on Twitter for the date he brought to his event last night.

Twitter hasn't found out who I am, but the Chicago magazines have already connected me to Captain James White. I'm on the front cover of the news as they question the Chicago Police's integrity since the Captain's daughter is so closely connected to one of America's biggest (speculated) criminals. No one has actually proved that he is a criminal.

Alice slept well through the night, but I can't say the same. I was up tossing and turning. Every time I closed my eyes, the time between Kai and me outside of the bathroom kept repeating in my head. My body was deprived of sex. It has been my whole life and no one has made my body feel as good as he did. It was begging for release, but my mind was elsewhere picturing different ways the conversation with my dad will go so I didn't even attempt to fulfill my body's desires. Don't get it twisted, it's still on the to-do list.

I got out of bed early morning when I discovered the news to try and come up with a believable excuse. I have to admit we've got nothing.

Knock knock knock.

He knocks again and I share a look with Alice who is now standing prepared. I sigh heavily climbing off of the barstool and head towards the door. My clammy hands stick to the cold doorknob. I feel my heart throbbing at the possibility of how the next few minutes could change our entire lives. Taking, a deep breath, I open the door.

"Summer," dad sighs as he gulfs me in a hug. My eyebrows knit in confusion. I hesitate to put my arms around him, but as I comprehend what's happening, I rub his back.

"Dad? Is everything okay?"

"Are you okay?" he questions parting from the hug. His blue eyes boring into mine sympathetically.

"Uh- yeah, I am," I stutter still confused as to what's happening. I expected him to be mad, but it seems the opposite. To be honest, I've never really seen him mad. I think he takes all his anger out at the station but I thought today would change that.

"Does he have something against you?" At least he's getting right to the point.

"What? No," I lie. He's trying to find a reason to diminish my part in the situation. It's easier to believe that I'm being forced to be with Kai than to believe I'm doing this willingly. If only he knew that it's true. That I'm being forced. But before this life, before dad, mom and Alice, the life Kai lives, it was mine. I come from that. I am that.

"Summer," he scolds, refusing to believe me.

"Dad, you know I'm here too?" Alice chirps from behind me catching his attention. I'm grateful she's trying to split his attention between the two of us. I can't take him on alone.