Chapter 10

"You think you can keep me, keep me afraid
You're twisting screws inside my head
I won't just lie down and play dead."
~ Nessa Barrett

......

Summer White

......

Kai sneaks up behind me. Before I realize what, he's doing, I look down to find his hands draping his coat over my shoulders. When I look up, our eyes briefly connect before he averts them forward becoming still next to me. We're standing at a slight elevation under a tree which allows us the perfect view of the whole venue.

The funeral this morning was a bigger memorial than I had expected with the whole Chicago Police department attending along with a live feed on the local and national news. Many of dad's colleagues spoke and Alice delivered the official eulogy. I had no idea she was going to but I'm glad she did.

Everything lasted a few hours ending with the burial. Closer relatives and friends stayed behind to attend the reception. Everyone has been chatting around since and enjoying the buffet and drinks. I, on the other hand, have been enjoying my own company and observing from afar. I hadn't noticed how the weather had changed. It was cold like any other day in October, but the clouds are gloomier now and the wind is crisp. It's almost as if a storm is forming.

"That's your sixth glass of wine," Kai words after a few minutes of silence. I glance at him and find him focused on the crowd with his hands in his pockets. My black drape dress rises because of the wind and I pat it down.

"I know," I reply then take sip of my wine. I use my pointer finger to brush down the strands of hair blocking my vision. The wind seems to be increasing.

"You haven't been talking to anyone."

"I know." Sip.

"You haven't shed a single tear."

"I know." Sip. Now it's empty. My two-word replies seem to drive Kai to the edge as he takes a hold of my bicep and spins me to face him. My left-hand rests on his chest as I use it to force a few inches of space between our faces.

"What's wrong with you?" Kai bores his eyes into mine searching for an answer. The inability to find anything frustrates him as his forehead creases and teeth grit in anger. I take a deep breath; inhaling through my nose and exhaling through my mouth.

"Careful, Kai," I coo relaxing my body. Even though his grip on my arm is tight and slowly cutting off the circulation to my hand, I manage to ignore the pain. I'm assuming it has something to with the alcohol coursing through my veins. "We're in public, baby," I add in the last bit purposely. I stand on my tippy toes moving my lips so close to his that I feel them brush just before I turn my head and hover over his earlobe. "Wouldn't want anyone to find out you actually abuse me."

I smirk as his hand unwillingly loosens and I hear him stifle a grunt of pure rage. I back away and respond to his angry expression completely satisfied. I'm sure if I was sober I wouldn't be as daring, but I like this lack of fear. It's freeing and keeping me entertained.

"You need to stop–" Kai starts.

"What are you doing?" Alice spits as she rushes to us. Kai takes a step back as she forces herself between us. "Hold this," she says to me shoving her glass full of wine into my left hand. Before I can say anything, she turns her back to me. "This is my dad's funeral and you said you wouldn't cause a scene here. That we'd get to mourn peacefully in our own way so why are you here grabbing her like that in front of everyone?"