𝐭𝐰𝐨

Halloween was the night of the nerds. It was the night of the dweebs. It was a night were losers could be cool kids. And cool kids... well, they would still be cool kids. And a whole lot cooler than the nerds were. But none of that mattered tonight. Because every person in the group was hell bent on having the night of their lives.

The group was going dressed up as Ghostbusters. Of course, their mothers were the only ones who thought that their costumes were cute, but it wasn't as though that really mattered all that much to any of them. After all, it was still Halloween, and each and every one of them were hellbent on having the night of their lives.

But before trick or treating, the group's first stop was school. They arrived, all dressed as Ghostbusters on their bikes. Dustin looked over to see Mike and Lucas bickering about which Ghostbuster they were. It wasn't really as though any of that mattered. That was when Dustin noticed it.

"Guys."

They continued on their chattering and arguing of course.

"Guys!"

"What?" Mike asked, the rest of the group turned to face him.

"Why isn't anyone else wearing costumes?"

It was just their luck. That they were the only ones in the whole school were the ones dressed up. They looked like morons and everyone around them knew it. Now it was time for a miserable day of endless taunting. Perhaps even worse taunting than every other day because they were easier to pick out of a crowd.

Dustin noticed Noah in the hall by his locker, fumbling with the lock and struggling to get it open. He was debating whether or not he should walk over and introduce himself. He was dressed ridiculously. The worst he could do was embarass himself, but then again, nothing could be more embarrassing and awkward than being the new kid. He decided to walk over.

"Hey, locker troubles?" He asked. The rest of the guys were probably making fun of him. Dustin decided that he didn't really care.

"U-um, yeah." Noah cursed himself for stuttering over his words. Of course it had to be the cute boy from biology of all people. The universe clearly didn't want to lend him any mercy today. Or any day for that matter.

"I can try for you?" He offered. Noah stepped back.

"Please. I've been wrestling this thing for the past fifteen minutes." Noah scratched the back of his head awkwardly, not really knowing what to do with his hands anymore.

"Yeah, sometimes these things are weird. You kind of have to jimmy it a bit. What's your combo?" Dustin looked behind him to see an incredibly nervous looking Noah. Little did he know that was from the anxiety, not the fear of giving someone else his locker combination.

"I-I-I-" He paused for a few moments, trying to just fucking spit his words out. "It's 5-35-40."

Dustin unlocked his locker, giving the door a little but of a punch. "There you go." Dustin stepped aside from the front of the locker again.

"Thank you so much." Noah said.

"And don't worry about my sharing your combo or whatever." Dustin tried to joke. "It's not like I have any of those cool prankster friends or whatever."

"It's not like I have any friends or whatever." Noah said in reply, immediately regretting it as his joke clearly missed the mark by a long haul. Instead, it only made things more awkward between them. Dustin wasn't quite sure what to say back.

"Well, if you want, you can come with us trick or treating tonight?" He offered.

"I, uh, really?" Noah was shocked. At his old school, not even the losers or nerds wanted to hang out with him.