Leaf, Smoke, Snake

“But Tsunade–Sama…you said Etsuko died after Gaara was reawakened,” Sakura stumbled back from the window, her jade eyes contracted in shock.

“Sasuke Uchiha just happens to be one of my many problems. I could do him the grace of simple capture instead of an easy kill,” I proposed, picking at my bandaged fingertips, avoiding Sakura’s blatant question to Tsunade.

Perhaps it wasn’t such a good idea to reveal myself so suddenly. My main objective was to use Squad Seven to find Sasuke and kill him before he could touch Itachi. Kuragari was still keeping tabs on the brat, but I’d have to comply with whatever Tsunade ordered me to do, just as long as it was quick.

I ignored the Haruno completely and turned my attention to the more intelligent side of the group, meaning Naruto and Kakashi. Those blue eyes, bluer than a summer sky stared at me in absolute mortification, Naruto was stuck between unleashing Kyuubi or embracing me―I wanted neither so I looked over him towards Kakashi.

My old squad Captain gave me a short nod before pointing his index finger to the roof of the Hokage tower; he obviously wanted to speak with me. The tension in the room became unsettling once Sakura’s question was voiced; both Tsunade and Jiraya were at a loss for words whilst Naruto’s nostrils flared with rage, I swore I could hear Kyuubi laughing within my subconscious.

“Ne, you always were stubborn,” Tsunade muttered beneath her breath, “I see a Genjustu must’ve been cast to make you all forget that Etsuko existed, which was originally the plan. But she is indeed the only one that can find both Itachi and Sasuke, preferably both alive.”

“Etsuko lied to us and now she’s part of the Akatsuki, we can’t trust her,” Sakura spat.

“Do you want to find Sasuke or not Sakura–Chan?” Naruto raised his voice at the Haruno, but kept those sky-blue eyes locked against mine. The hatred dripped from his voice when he addressed me, “you…I can’t even remember who you are let alone your name―but I swear that if you cross this village, I will kill you.”

“The feeling’s mutual, kid,” I lowered the brim of my hat, awaiting Naruto’s implosion of emotions, however no such thing happened. Since he couldn’t remember anything about me, there was no feeling he could use to throw at me, no memories to cage my empathy. I smirked at my achievements.

“…Now we’ve settled that problem, the recon mission to find Sasuke starts immediately,” Tsunade decreed.

“Not so fast,” I raised my left bandaged hand in protest, “I have one condition, I’m working alone.”

“No,” Sakura cracked her knuckles in a threatening manner, not that I cared or felt rather intimidated. “Tsunade–Sama you can’t!”

“I go solo, or Sasuke rots in Yomi,” I challenged.

To both of our surprises, it was Naruto―the naïve blonde haired Uzumaki that spoke up in place of Tsunade. To agree with me so outspokenly would’ve been frowned upon back in my generation, but it gave the kid spunk, my smirk turned into a sneer at Naruto’s sheer look of anger and determination.

“Etsu…” he paused, my name slipping off the tip of his tongue. Naruto cleared his throat and rephrased his order, “She goes alone, you don’t bargain with bounty hunters, especially one with such heartless eyes.”

“Maybe you have grown up,” I commented offhandedly, “kid.”

***

I met Kakashi not on the Hokage Tower roof, but in the Konohagakure cemetery. I remembered on the evening of Shisui’s death/suicide, Kakashi had told me the story of his doomed teammates, Rin Nohara the makeshift Sanbi Jinchuriki and Obito Uchiha, who died protecting each other. Poetic justice, to say the least―but I couldn’t help but see myself as Kakashi, the presumed heartless Nin who lived each day as if it were their last, no lover, no friends, no family.