38. lacrimosa

Loki weren't meant to see any of that. Mobius thought he had made sure no one showed that to Loki, not because he cared, no, of course not, he told himself; his not wanting Loki to see his own death had nothing to do with Mobius feeling for the lost God. He just... didn't like broken things.

But the sight of Loki broken nonetheless gave Mobius a nagging, unexplainable type of pain throbbing somewhere in his chest, and he didn't like that.

///

Pairing: Loki/Mobius

Inspired by Loki series season 1 episode 1 so, even though I added unnecessary angst to the chapter to feed my questionable need to torture my favourite character, beware of spoilers.

Big trigger warning for self-harm and suicide attempt . If these may be triggering for you, I strongly advise you not to read this.

(There will be another Loki/Mobius fics from me that don't involve the topics stated above)

Anyway, writing these ship actually helped get me out of a writer's block so cheers to that.

///

The file ended there and Loki lost his track of time, for how long he'd been standing still, staring at the text shown on the screen, he wouldn't know, but it ended there, just like that; with him dead and Thor clinging to his corpse.

(Thor, whose fate remained unknown to him)

'End of file,' the text read.

And Loki thought, 'glorious purpose.' Suddenly a laugh forced its way out his throat. Because wasn't it funny, really, the whole thing was just so funny to him; he'd been told he was born to be king, he was promised something... glorious, the throne and the reign. His purpose, all led up to this.

He was laughing and he couldn't stop himself just like he failed to stop hot tears streaming down his cold skin at the same time.

In the end it all leads up to this, this is your very own glorious purpose; to die by the hands of the Titan.

He'd been naive, a fool, to believe otherwise.

And here he was; held captive, a prisoner in this circus where he had no idea where he actually was (his own fate here, too, remained unknown) just like how he'd been held captive in the Sanctum by his to-be murderer.

So yes, everything was just so funny.

He laughed and he let the tears fall. So glorious, he thought, keeping repeating that in his head.

His trying his hardest to be better, to finally be someone to his father, to prove himself -- all of that for nothing.

In the end, you're a lifeless body lying on the floor of an exploding ship.

Loki nodded to himself once, twice. When his laugh eventually died down he fell into a seat where Mobius previously sat. He wondered if the man intended to ever show him what he'd stumbled upon by himself, his own death, or if he meant to keep him in the dark and simply pity him without Loki's knowing, so that Loki was the fool in the situation.

"So glorious," Loki said aloud to himself in the empty room where he was alone with himself and his own life bare for him to witness.

His next thought was 'now what?' Because he couldn't go back — the main timeline, his home — to Thor. No, going back meant painful death.

But really, death wasn't what bothered Loki the most. He didn't have a problem with death but a world with Thor gone. That was what sending shivers down Loki's spine. From what he'd just seen, from what it looked like, both him and Thor died together. He would've been fine if it was just him, but Thor.