chapter thirty four

Regulus didn't leave Ophelia's side for (almost) the entire train ride, rode in the carriage with her, and convinced her to eat with him in the great hall.

The two were contrasting greatly from the rest of the school. The students were smiling and laughing, glad to be back home with their friends. Two of the Black siblings, however, were the complete opposite. They were both trying their best to keep their composure, both dreading having to do anything. Everything sounded completely miserable, Ophelia didn't know how she was going to manage it. She hated the thought of going to classes, to see her friends, to see sirius' friends. She didn't want to talk to anyone except maybe Regulus.

Ophelia had her arm intertwined with Regulus', her other arm grabbing Regulus' same arm. The two walked slowly into the entrance hall. On a normal occasion, Ophelia would gawk over how beautiful it was and how amazing it felt to be back at her real home. But this wasn't a normal occasion and she knew it. They both knew it.

They both unknowingly took a deep breath as they walked up to the doors of the great hall.

"Ready?" Regulus asked.

"I'm going to have to be," she responded.

They slowly walked into the great hall, bright candles shining down upon them, comforting Ophelia a bit. She tightened her grip on Regulus as they continued to walk. All of a sudden, Regulus came to a halt.

"Phee?" he said in a small voice.

"Hm?" she asked, her eyes scanning across the Slytherin table, where she would be eating that evening.

"Ophelia," he said again, more desperately.

Ophelia turned to look at him, saw the look of despair upon his face, and followed his gaze to the Gryffindor table.

Sirius Black was sitting there, laughing with James, Peter, and Remus, as if nothing had happened at all.

"Oh my god," she whispered. "Oh my god."

"I can't do this," whispered Regulus, as he turned around and walked back out of the hall, Ophelia still at his side.

Ophelia saw her brother with tears filling his eyes, and she was quick to pull him into a comforting hug.

"I cannot believe him," she said into his chest. "How am I supposed to react to something like this Reg?"

"How could he be so selfish? He just left us there, nothing to indicate that he was safe, Merlin, nothing that told us he was even alive! For months he had probably been having the time of his life with Potter."

"I know," she whispered, trying to calm him down. "I know. I'm mad at him too, believe me. Oh my god, Reg. He's alive. I cannot believe him."

"He is such a dick!"

"You know what? He spent months ignoring us, not acknowledging us, nothing. We got nothing from him. We're not going to be upset tonight, we're back at Hogwarts, and he's alive. If he wants to ignore us, we can ignore him too," said Ophelia, determinedly.

Regulus wiped his eyes quickly and nodded down at his sister. Once again, they walked into the great hall and neither one of them spared so much as a glance at the Gryffindor table.

Ophelia sat down, ignoring the looks she got from the rest of the Slytherins, in between Regulus and Narcissa Black.

Narcissa looked at her for a few moments before speaking, "Ophelia Black, you're a Gryffindor. Why are you here?"

"I'm ignoring my dumbass of a brother right now," she said bitterly.

Narcissa looked warily over at Regulus.