fourteen

My mom sang with the radio that she played loudly in the kitchen.  She had bought it while I was gone and she had been using it every day since.  I chuckled at Devin dancing with Oliver, guiding him by holding his two front paws. 

"Morning!" I smiled at my family.

They had been up before me; I heard the radio playing as I woke up. My dad wasn't downstairs so I assumed he was asleep. 

As they turned to me,  my mom lowered the volume on the radio and Devin let go of the dog.  

"Your dad wants to go out to eat today. A little family lunch.  We never do that these days," Mom smiled at the two of us.

"At what time?" I asked, keeping Press' party in mind. 

She thought for a second, "Probably from like one to three, why?"

"No reason," I smiled back, now having to decide to go to his party or to lunch. 

"Mom made eggs for breakfast, yours in on the counter," Devin pointed at the plate on the opposite side of the kitchen.  

I nodded before grabbing a fork and heading over to my plate.   As I took a bite, my mother began to ask questions.

"How was the cruise?  Did you get seasick?"

I chuckled at the eagerness in her tone, "It was fun and, no, I didn't get seasick.  Nightime was weird though, it was like I felt the ship swaying in the water more.  I don't know, it was odd."

"Oh! Speaking of you being gone, Oliver slept in your room one night because he made a mess in mine and I had to clean it, but nothing in yours was messed up," Denver shared.

I wasn't sure why he told me, since nothing went wrong, but it was fine anyway.  As I continued to eat, my phone beeped a few times, letting me know I got text messages.  I chewed my eggs as I unlocked my phone to messages from Sadie.

hey so uh, i cant go tonight

my parents want to spend time together ?? lol but have fun anyway, maybe you can get monroe to go with you?

I replied with a thumbs-up reaction.  At least I didn't have to decide anymore.  I was going to lunch.  I texted Margarine to tell her we weren't going and I got up to wash my plate.  My mom had made her way to the living room where she was watching some old hospital show.

After I finished my food, I washed my plate and followed my mom to the couch.  I tossed myself on the empty one and took over the majority of it.  My mom paid no attention to me as I made a scene and instead focused on the doctor who had passed out in the lobby of the hospital.

I chuckled at the show and my mom immediately shushed me.  I smiled and watched the show with her.  The drama was kind of old people drama, which is probably why my mom liked it. 

"Where are we going to eat?" I asked, not taking my eyes off the TV.

She didn't answer for a few seconds, I almost thought she didn't hear me.  Just as I was about to repeat my question, she answered.

"I don't remember what it was called, your dad planned it.  He said it was really nice, though.  He went a few weeks ago for a business meeting," she explained nonchalantly, watching as they tried to wake up the doctor on TV.

Just as she finished speaking, my dad walking downstairs singing a song he probably wrote as he sang. 

"Oh, good morning family! Good morning, morning is good!" 

Every vowel was elongated as he sang with vibrato.  He overexaggerated every word, ending it all with a laugh.  The second my mom heard his voice, she looked away from the TV to watch him with a smile.