Ketchup or Mayo?

"Eli, are you going to miss me?" I asked the bouncing toddler on my lap. His energy level was on high. Dad was buckling Lizzie in her car seat. He was driving them home and I had to head to school.

            "Annie come see me soon?" Eli asked turning around to look at my face. Man this kid is cute. He is going to be a totally lady-killer when he gets older.

            "Of course. Who else is going to watch you?" Smiling widely he begins to bounce again. I guess my answer was sufficient. Pulling his sweater on I check him one last time before taking him to the car. You would swear this was my kid the way I was acting. Clinging to my hand he pulled me along.

            "Bye Annie."

            "Bye pumba" I said ruffling his hair.

            Today was going to be a long day at school it was the week of tryouts. I have been trying to talk myself into trying out for the dance team since last year. The only thing was I didn't do attention. However, I love to dance. It was another way I stay connected to my mom. Every team was holding tryouts so school was going to be a mad house. I didn't tell Lex, or even my dad that I was thinking about trying out. I didn't want my dad to get nervous since that is how him and my mom met. Then Lex would probably make fun because she was the beautiful outsider. Lex thought teams were stupid. Plus I haven't exactly told her about my mom much.

            "Have a good day at school kid."

            "Its school dad, having a good day is not an option." I said jokingly.

            "Back in my day-"

            "You're not that old dad. So, don't start." I interrupted.

            Pushing me lightly he waved goodbye. I needed to pack my gym bag and get ready for class. The smell of coffee filled the house. Today was actually one of those days where I felt like trying when it came to my outfit. I stared at the mirror looking at the black dress and lacey stockings. I had on Lex's dark red cardigan and combat boots. The picture of my mom sat proudly on the dresser. The familiar twinge in my chest appeared. Its funny how I can still feel her hug. She was such a big personality. I want to be half the person she was.

            Taking a thermoset and my gym bag I made a mad dash for the car. The entire drive to school was filled with two things. The first was nerves about the tryout and the second was Nile's stupid question. "Where do I want to stand?" What does that even mean? It just frustrated me. Like seriously give me one straight answer. People need to be more straightforward. The world would be a beautiful place.

            "Looking good Manny, but I think I liked yesterdays outfit more." Roger said. See a normal person would be embarrassed by what he said. However, the first thing that came to my mind is man how do so many people know my name.

            "Cute cardigan." Lex said sarcastically. The funny thing was that she had on my jeans and my shoes. I laughed and eyed her up and down. Throwing her arms up in mock surrender she clutched my arm and pulled me along.

            "Ready for the day of ra ra shish kum bah" She laughed as we made way into the obnoxiously loud school. The hallways splattered with spirit posters. Cheerleaders dressed in uniform yelled loudly. There was tables' set up everywhere for signups. My eyes were drawn to the dance booth, but I couldn't sign up with Lex right here.

            "Hey curly sue." I knew the voice too well.

            "Oh la la. Silently sexy isn't so silent anymore, but just a whole lot more sexy." Lex said not even caring that Nile was right next to her. Elbowing her in the side I turn my attention back to the boy who seems to have taken permanent residence in my mind. Yet who I know nothing about, besides his name.