Chapter 87: Underwater

Not proofread

Pulling Changbin into his arms felt almost surreal. There was just no way to describe how at ease Hyunjin's mind felt when he wrapped his body around Changbin's smaller form. He was alive and conscious. It was all Hyunjin could have hoped for after feeling the other's pain through a bond the siren had yet to fully understand.

The noise around the siren seemed to blend into the background. His whole mind just focused on the vampire in his arms. The breathing vampire. It was weird how Hyunjin felt relaxed while Changbin tensed up in his arms. The older male didn't return the embrace nor did he utter a word. He just stiffly let himself be hugged yet Hyunjin couldn't bring himself to care at the moment. His mind was still filled with the pure relief that flooded through the siren's being when he saw the other alive.

"Hyunjin, what are you doing here?," Changbin asked in a whisper. There was no real accusation in the other's voice but enough panic to let the little illusion Hyunjin had created for himself shatter. The siren pulled away from the vampire to look into the other's eyes.

Black eyes meet deep red ones filled with mild panic and fear. Hyunjin looked into the deep red orbs, which usually shone with a kind of unexplainable knowledge, calmness and certainty and just saw shock and fear. It was unexplainable, almost weird. Why was Changbin so afraid when he was here to help? To make sure the vampire came out of the mission alive?

"I... I came for you. You were ... You were hurt," Hyunjin stuttered, his eyes scanning Changbin for the injuries he had felt on his own body. Surely enough he found them, confusing him even more. Changbin was hurt; he had needed help, so why wasn't he glad, relieved?

Changbin looked at the siren with the uttermost disbelieve. The pure red orbs quickly scanning Hyunjin for something that seemed to be missing. Was it the book of vampires? Was Changbin afraid that Hyunjin had brought the ancient artifact behind enemy lines? Was that it? Did he care so little about being hurt? About dying?

"Hyunjin you shouldn't be here. You should be at the headquarter. You-," Changbin began ranting but was interrupted when someone in the front screamed out a warning. Hyunjin's gaze was torn from Changbin only to look at a wall icicles that rained down upon everyone. The only thing that prevented the icicles to hit their targets were the magical shields hovering above everyone, but the shields were as quickly destroyed as they were created save for the ones that hovered near Byungho.

Hyunjin's eyes widened when he saw the brunet with a pair of gigantic pitch black wings on his back. His eyes shimmered with pure gold and even his magic seemed to glow with the color. The older male was breathing a bit heavily, yet he remained up right and the golden shields around him remained intact while the other broke at the contact with a hunter's weapon. Had the older male always been this powerful? Had he always had a pair of gigantic black wings?

"Jeongin help me set up a strong illusion to keep the hunters off to slip away," the siren heard his mother yell. The sound startled Hyunjin back into reality. A few feet ahead of him, people were fighting for their lives against people that wanted to see them dead. His friends stood not far from him in the defensive line along with his mother.

Ms. Hwang was a force to be reckoned with. She stood tall in the white corridor while her dual colored magic surrounded her. Bright, burning orange mixing with deep, calm blue magic was a beautiful yet dangerous sight. The colors swirled around her, centering in little flames on the tips of her nine black fox tails.

Jeongin joined Ms. Hwang's side, unaffected by the amount of magic radiating off her. At one point he must have turned fully into his kitsune form. His eyes were a burning orange and on his head he wore a pair of fluffy, blond fox ears. While Ms. Hwang could surround herself with her nine fox tails, Jeongin had only one, making him look like more of a fox hybrid than a full blood kitsune if it weren't for the glowing eyes and the fierce orange magic that began to surround him.