Chapter 12

The sky outside was getting darker and darker and Mason could see it through the broken window which was covered in spider webs and dust. His head felt heavy and painful and so did his body. He had just woken up after losing consciousness and thought this was a dream. But the relentless pain he felt, reminded him that all of this was real.

His throat was parched from hyperventilating and his voice didn't come out. The huge broken table was still on his leg, pressing him down. All he wanted now was some water and painkillers  His body was so painful and weak that even moving an inch seemed laborious, so he kept waiting for help that never came.

"Somebody help me please... someone, anyone, Mom, Dad, Aunt, Jade, Brother Max, Jadon, Greta please please please..... Mom, Dad I'm sorry please.... I'll be a good son please....", Mason mumbled in a whisper.

Hours passed by and his whole body was trembling from the extreme cold that was rushing through the window. He waited and waited but no one came to his rescue. After what seemed like ages he finally decided to do something by himself and painstakingly pushed the huge broken table off of him, inch by inch.

Dragging himself on the floor to get close to the door, he banged on the door repeatedly, hoping someone would hear him. But all that replied to him was the cold silence again.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry someone please..... Father please I'm sorry, first brother, second brother, brother Max please.... "

Mason didn't know why he was apologizing. Maybe it was a habit but all that remained in the end was self-blame.

As time passed, night came and bugs, insects and rats started running around the corners of the room, disregarding the human who was present with them. Mason had an intense fear of rats and seeing them run around the floor he was sitting on, made his heart beat faster. He couldn't help but shake in fear.

The rats present were huge with long tails and a slight red glint in their eyes. Eventhough Mason was petrified, he couldn't really move or do anything. His state of powerlessness made him hate himself.

"Why am I so weak? Why am I so damn weak and useless? Father was right, I'm just a burden to the family and myself, I should just die, just die die die....."

His eyes were hot and he clenched his teeth tightly.

Although he knew no one was going to come to help him, he kept on banging on the door with all his strength, hoping that the loud noise could keep the rats away from him. The light moonlight that was shining through the window was concealed by the thick clouds and eventually, the room was shrouded in darkness. He kept mumbling that he couldn't see the rats anymore so it was okay, but the squeaking and hissing sounds he heard made his skin crawl.

He was mumbling and talking to himself, "Bro- brother Max, Brother Max, why haven't you st-still come to fi-find me? Jadon, where a-a-are you? Please please please". His voice was barely audible to himself and he kept pleading and questioning his existence over and over again.

Little did he know that the duke had sent Marcus away for the preparation of the birthday banquet to another city and Jadon was powerless until the duke gave him proper instructions. The staff in the palace who became attached to Mason were all concerned and anxious but couldn't do anything to help.

Meanwhile, the rats that were maintaining their distance noticed that Mason was no harm and so they started to run around without restraint, bringing in their catch of the day, a dead bird inside. The foul smell and constant movement in his surroundings made Mason nauseous, causing him to retch. But since Mason hadn't had anything to eat other than a little something at breakfast, nothing came out.

Mason started to hyperventilate and his trembling intensified. His body was still hurting but started to feel more numb. His vision became hazy and he couldn't really keep up with his surroundings any longer. He kept calling out to his dead parents of his previous life and apologized unceasingly thinking this was all his karma and passed out.

----------------------------------------

A strong body pulled Mason, who was lying on the ground into his arms. He wasn't aware of Mason's injuries since the school uniform consisted of long pants and sleeves. It was already the next morning and the sun shone brightly. Zilon, who was standing next to the man was looking at Mason with eyes filled with concern and worry.

"His highness doesn't have to worry. He is just sleeping", said the man looking at Zilon calmly.

But his words did not calm Zilon. How could he believe a Rodolite to take care of Mason? Mason never said much about his family but most of the students already knew about his situation at home. None of the Rodolites cared about Mason after he was birthed causing the death of the late duchess.

Mason was missing for a whole day and this man showed up in the morning as if it was totally normal for a twelve year old to vanish for a night. He came into their class just a few minutes ago, asking where Mason was and saying he didn't come home since yesterday.

All the students in the class turned their heads and didn't answer. Some looking guilty, some sneering and then the twin princes who acted as if they'd never heard that name before. The man could read the obvious expressions of the kids but still wasn't in a hurry. He patiently waited for someone to reply.

Zilon who took a few minutes to process the situation rushed out of the class to find Mason. The man showed a slightly confused expression amd walked behind Zilon calmly. Even his walk wasn't rushed, his strong and long legs could easily keep up with Zilon who was running around searching for Mason.

Zilon looked at certain places where Mason mostly hid and then ran over to the old store room. When they reached there, they found it closed from the outside but Zilon still opened it. Inside Mason was lying on the ground, crouched in a fetal position. His hands and fingers were heavily bruised and even some dried blood stains were present. His face looked so pale that it were as if he was already dead.

The man's composure broke for a second before he picked Mason up and felt him breathing lightly. The man's face that looked like he didn't care about the world changed. His eyebrows wrinkled in anger and the principal, who tagged along behind him from the beginning like an invisible little mouse began to sweat.

"Sir, a few weeks ago Mason caused trouble for the princes and princess. So everyone started to avoid Mason. This might've been done by a few punk kids who wanted to shine in front of the highnesses." , the principle said.

After listening to the principal's words, the man looked down at Mason's tired and innocent face. He was still frowning in his sleep as if he were in pain.

"I need the names of all the kids who did this. A member of the Rodolite family is not someone anyone can touch or mistreat."

--------------------------------------

A/N - Thank you all for your enthusiasm. There are more stuff that are to come that'll definitely impress you. BTW I have my exams starting from next week additional to my part-time job and it'll go on for a month. I'll try my best not to miss any updates but if I do please excuse me in advance lol.

Oh and the update for Sunday was preponed because many of you have been asking for it, including my new friend ◕‿↼