31 Bees

***

Chapter 31

***

It's 9 AM as we head out to LA. We're actually supposed to go to work. It's Friday after all and Grant expects us to give our full day.

Though it's too hot to dress in my usual work clothes. I decided to change once we get to the office. For now, I'm in a yellow summer dress.

My window is down and I have my arm out, twirling my hand in the wind. Lucas is playing upbeat remixes and checking out my legs sneakily under his Ray-Bans.

To be fair, I'm also sneakily checking out his toned, tan, delicious arms. And if he puts his hand on my thigh, I might combust.

But, I'm glad he isn't. We're not there yet. Where are we, even? Who fucking knows. I still need to gather the courage to clarify. Just need to find the right moment and clear the air.

"Oh my God." My mouth drops when we approach what seems like an infinite field of flowers.

Red, yellow, orange, pink petals cover the land. It's the most stunning view I've ever seen.

"Oh my God." I repeat like a broken radio and stick out my head. "What is this beauty?"

"You've never been to Carlsbad Ranch?" Lucas wonders with amusement.

"I never knew heaven was on earth." Literally my nose is overwhelmed with floral perfume. I could die here. I would be a happy ghost.

And it doesn't stop. Lucas keeps driving seventy miles an hour and the flowers don't end. I don't want them to end. I want to move here and live in a tent.

Lucas suddenly pulls to the side and parks. I stare at him wide-eyed and frozen.

"Let's go." He drawls with some exasperation. "I know you want to check it out."

"Ugh, I do! But we need to go to work. This isn't right." I whine, folding forward in defeat.

Lucas scoffs. "The business won't collapse if we're an hour late. Come on."

He opens the door and I begrudgingly - who am I kidding, excitedly - open mine and practically run into the field.

"Layla!" Lucas screams after me, but I'm gone.

"Whoo!" I open my arms and dash down the nearest hill.

"The entrance is the other way you dumb fuck!" He yells. "Come back, you're going to get kicked out!"

"I don't care! I'll go to jail smelling amazing!" My smile hurts my cheeks as I get lost in the sea of flowers. They're all around me.

I spin and feel the petals on my fingertips, very careful not to anger the bees flying around.

Remembering that Lucas is here, I turn and see him still standing on top of the hill, staring at me with a brooding face and crossed arms.

"What are you doing? Come down!" I yell. To my relief, other people are far away, probably where the entrance is. I made a wise choice by being on this side.