Chapter 4

When Vanessa was out of his sensitive hearing range, Jake pushed the maid away from him.

"Get out and shut the door behind you," He ordered, ignoring her disappointed look.

After his door closed, he stumbled onto his bed like a drunk man and hit his knee on the wooden edge of his bed because he was so preoccupied with his thoughts.

His true mate was beautiful, just like he had always wished she would be, but she was blind and human. Could he still mate with her, even though she was blind? He knew their pups would look great, but was that enough? What Alpha didn't want to father powerful Alpha pups? He also wanted that, but Ciara could not give him that.

Unfortunately, all his internal questions kept ending with the same answer. Ciara could not be his luna for several reasons.

She was blind. She knew nothing about being a Luna. Worse yet, she needed his mother to assign Vanessa to take care of her so she probably couldn't take care of herself, so it would be too much to expect for her to take care of pack members and meet their needs. From the way Vanessa and his mother always talked about her, he knew she was a liability and her blindness would turn him into a source of mockery among other alphas, his friends, and maybe even among the pack members.

A weak Luna would surely be the weak link that other packs looking to expand their territory would exploit to attack the Thurman pack. Only the combination of a strong Alpha and Luna could keep a pack safe from greedy eyes and packs.

There was no way he could risk his reputation, his pack's reputation, and the well-being of his pack by mating with her when the only advantage she had was her delicate beauty. She had no powerful family or pack to help his pack if need be, and she couldn't even defend herself.

Suddenly, an urgency spurred by his wolf's restlessness had him standing up and making his way to the attic, where he knew his mother had dumped Ciara to keep her away from pack guests. He found her fast asleep, her wavy honey-colored hair spread around her on the pillow, making her look like a minor goddess.

If only she could see. If only she was the daughter of a powerful Alpha or even beta. Then he could try to abandon all the other girls he wanted to sleep with just to mate with her, love her, wake up beside her every morning, and have pups with her.

Drawn to her like a magnet to iron, he couldn't resist dropping a kiss on her cheeks. From an innocent kiss on the cheek, he kissed her on her soft bow-shaped lips and couldn't resist kissing her more and more.

After a minute of kissing, Ciara seemed to wake up a little and, since she didn't push him away, he deepened his kiss. At first, it seemed like she was kissing him back, but then she went still as if she was just waking up and started trying to shove him away from her with all her puny human strength.

He reluctantly pulled himself off her, releasing her from the embrace he couldn't remember initiating. Then he straightened up and stared at her with flared nostrils.

Her lips were slightly swollen from his kisses and her cheeks were an adorable shade of light pink.

She was seated on her bed, panting slightly, holding her blanket to her chest and looking around wildly, even though she couldn't see a thing.

She was truly innocent, and he liked that if he were to mate with her, he would be her first and only.

When he didn't say anything, she started asking questions and he could smell her fear, which made his wolf antsy. "Who are you?! What do you want?!"

He didn't know what to say or how to introduce himself. Should he introduce himself as her alpha-to-be or as her true mate?

Eventually, he decided not to introduce himself at all and walked out of her room with a gruff order. "Go back to sleep. I'm leaving."