Chapter 5

"What did your father say to you?"

Startled out of his thoughts by the abrupt question, Jake looked up to find his mother already waiting for him in his room, or rather pacing impatiently in his room.

"Nothing." He tried to think of a much more believable answer that wasn't the truth because he had no intention of telling her what his father had just told him, so he said the first thing that he thought of. "Just men's stuff, you know, alpha stuff."

His mother snorted. "Alpha stuff, of course. You don't have to lie to me. Just tell me you don't want me to know."

"Okay. I don't want you to know." Jake shrugged.

"Why? You always tell me everything? Or was it about the blind girl?"

Jake felt that was one question he could answer truthfully, since his dad never spoke about Ciara. "No, we didn't even talk about Ciara."

"Ciara?" His mother pronounced the name as though the letters themselves were enough to poison her tongue. "When did you start calling the blind girl Ciara?"

Jake sighed, wishing he could avoid telling his mother the truth about Ciara being his true mate, but he knew she was the only one who could advise him on what to do with his best interests at heart. He knew that if he asked his father, his answer would be the same any time any day. He would advise that, regardless of the consequences, Jake should hold fast to his true mate.

Jake couldn't hold in his second sigh as he decided to just bite the bullet and ask his mother for advice. "Mum, I don't want you to freak out or anything, but I have something important to ask you."

"What is it? Is it something you and your dad spoke about?" His mother was watching him just like he suspected a mother eagle would watch her only chick.

"How would you feel if I told you I found my true mate?"

"That would be fantastic...though it depends..."

Jake perked up and hope sparked in his heart. "On what?"

"On her pack, her status in the pack, and all that..."

If Jake's hope was a balloon, it immediately deflated. His mother was talking about status and pack when Ciara was just an ordinary human.

"You don't think I'll approve of her?" His mother stared at him with narrowed eyes.

"I know you'll never approve of her," Jake mumbled.

"Well, if it's that Vanessa girl, you can certainly do a lot better. Serena, on the other hand, would be a great—"

"Mum...my true mate is Ciara."

"What?!" If the situation was different, Jake would have laughed at how low his mother's jaw dropped.

She suddenly started shaking her head and laughing. "No...you're kidding, right?"

Jake didn't bother replying to her rhetorical question rather, he allowed his silence to speak for itself.

"Ciara...the blind human is your true mate? Jacob, I think lust has gone to your head, but I won't let you make such a mistake. If you want to sleep with the blind girl, go ahead, but it'll be after I'm dead and buried that you will mate with that creature."

"Mother! It's not just me, okay...sure, I think she's beautiful, but it's beyond that. Her scent is heavenly and I feel my wolf connect with me like never before when I'm near her."

"Well, you can start disconnecting again because nothing on this earth will ever allow me to permit you to mate with that blind bat." His mother whispered, fury glinting in her eyes.