Dinner Date (Levi x Reader Modern AU)

You hurried into the coffee shop, pausing just inside to wipe your shoes on the mat and shake out your umbrella. Then you heaved a deep breath, letting the familiar ambience and the smell of coffee beans bring you to your happy place. Coming here was well worth a walk in the pouring rain.

You first discovered this cozy little café several months back, and you had instantly fallen in love with the calming yet invigorating atmosphere. Despite its charms, it was never too crowded (a charm in and of itself), and you could always find a table to sit at while you enjoyed your drink. Speaking of, your beverage of choice was always brewed to perfection – thanks to a certain grumpy barista.

"I got it," Levi grumbled, cutting you off when you opened your mouth to order. He was already turning toward the machines, cup in hand. "Honestly, brat, you order the same thing every day. You think I don't know by now?"

You grinned, perfectly aware that Levi's attitude wasn't meant to be harsh. That was just the way he spoke. With customers he didn't know as well, he observed the social niceties, even if they sounded flat coming from his thin lips. But with you, he was much less formal, and you saw that as a good thing. It meant he was comfortable enough with you to show you his real personality.

Things hadn't always been this way. When you first started coming here, he treated you with the same polite but stoic demeanor that he showed to everyone else, and the two of you didn't exchange any words beyond your drink order. However, as time went on, your brief morning dialogue slowly evolved into actual conversations. Nowadays, if the café wasn't too busy, Levi would even take a break and sit with you for a while.

"Thanks, Levi!" you chimed as he handed you the steaming cup. You held out your credit card to pay, but he waved you off.

"It's on the house today," he stated. "Go find a table. I'll be there in a minute."

"You're the best," you replied with a bright smile. Levi gave you free drinks every now and then, and it was always a pleasant surprise. Once, you had tried to refuse, worried that he might get in trouble. However, Levi assured you that the café's manager, Erwin, didn't care as long as it didn't happen too often. Apparently, there was room in the budget for treating friends, drinks for the staff, remaking drinks that customers didn't like, etc.

As you turned away, you heard Levi call, "Oi, Hanji, I'm taking a break."

You slid into a cozy table in the corner, and after making himself a cup of tea and removing his apron, Levi joined you. Before he started doing this, you used to read or scroll through social media while you sipped your beverage. However, you didn't mind the company – not when it was Levi, anyway. He wasn't the type of person who talked just to talk, so your conversations were always interesting. On top of that, you found his calm presence to be equally as rejuvenating as spending the time alone.

You took a long sip of your drink and sighed. "Honestly, Levi, how are you so good at this? You make it perfect every time."

"It's not hard when you order the same thing every day," he grumbled, deflecting the compliment.

You shook your head, a smile playing at your lips. "But it's not just my drink. Everyone who comes here agrees that you make the best coffees and teas they've ever had."

Levi gave a soft "tch", but you saw the way his eyes darted to the floor, betraying his shyness. You imagined that he must have gotten a lot of comments in general – given his godlike physique, his gorgeous features, and his sharp intelligence – but he still seemed uncomfortable receiving them. It was...kind of cute, honestly.

"I guess...I've just been doing it forever," he explained quietly. "Not making coffee, exactly, but...tea, definitely, and lots of different types of food. My mom was a single parent, and she was always at work, so I had to learn to cook for myself. I still do, actually."