Chapter 11.1 (Part 1)

By Tuesday afternoon, Jane still hadn't heard from Tyler. She managed to keep herself busy, doing some necessary chores around the house, making pages of notes about the play her theater group had decided on, scheduling auditions and making arrangements to use the Honoria Community Center for practices and performances. But she often thought about Tyler and wondered why he hadn't called.

   She considered calling him, but decided against it. Whatever problems Tyler is having with their relationship, he was going to have to work them out for himself. Whether he was dealing with his feelings for her, or his late wife, there was nothing she could do to make it easier for him. She'd just have to be patient, give him space and be there to listen when he was ready to talk.

   Feeling restless, she decided she needed to get out of the house for a while. Though hot, it was too nice a day to sit inside alone, waiting for a phone call that might not come. Wearing a pair of denim shortalls over a brightly striped T-shirt, she strapped on her favorite leather sandals, ran a hand through her hair and turned on the answering machine—just in case.

   She didn't really have a destination in mind when she headed out, but she ended up at the new ice cream parlor on Maple Street. Part of the "revitalize downtown" campaign the chamber of commerce had been pushing for the past couple of years, the parlor had been opened in an old stone-front building that had once been home to a pharmacy and soda bar. So far, the new establishment had proven quite popular.

   As she entered, Jane admires the old-fashioned decor—the Tiffany-style lights, the little round tables with bentwood chairs, the old Coca-Cola and Pepsi prints on the walls, the neon-outlined jukebox prominently displayed in a back corner. The old sofa bar had been refinished and polished to a high shine, the brass fittings gleaming. It was like stepping h back in time to a slower, easier era, and Jane could almost feel herself relax as she soaked in the atmosphere.

   Most of the little tables were occupied, but she spotted an empty one in the back. She'd taken only a few steps toward it when someone said her name. Turning, she smiled when she recognized James Tucker, a biology teacher from the high school. "Well, hi," she said, moving toward his table. "How's your summer going?"

   He'd risen when she walked over, and shrugged in response to her question. "I'm working at the community center, supervising the summer sports program. It's okay, but I would just as soon be back at school. How about you?"

   "I'm ready to get back to work, myself. Although I am helping a group who want to start a community theater program." Jane said.

   "No kidding? Sit down and tell me all about it." James offered, then hesitantly asked, "Unless you're meeting someone here?"

   "No. I'd love to join you." Jane replied.