Chapter 3

Xander Pov

Something seems to be off about Sophie lately. I knew she was hiding something from me. I tried asking her but she always seems to change the topic. I have been noticing her for a few days now. She comes late, leaves early. We barely talk.

Few days ago I went to collect my medical reports. They could have mailed me or someone else could have collected but I wanted to see her. The thought about having lunch with her and seeing her smile was enough to relieve all the stress and tension.

Her smile was my stress buster. Having dinner with her was the best part of the day for me. She was not an excellent cook but I knew her intention behind cooking me dinner and I loved her for that. She was my heaven. And I loved her more than anyone in this world.

When I reached the hospital and asked for her I was told that it was her day off. I thought that maybe it had slipped her mind and she must be busy with something else.

But when at dinner I asked her about hospital she said it was the usual. She didn't even bother telling me that it was her day off and lied straight to my face. I couldn't believe that my Sophie could lie to me.

Negelcting that I just behaved like everything was normal though her lie was eating me up.

But today was the last straw. I recieved photographs of Sophie. And she was not alone. She wasn't just cheating on me with one but several men.

I was broken. I loved her. I still do. How could she betray me?

I sent my staff early and sat in the living room waiting for her.

It was really late considering her shift ended at five in the evening. I did check it out from the hospital.

And then I heard the door opening. I knew she was here. As as she approached the kitchen her scent hit me. It always calmed the storm within me. And now it was responsible for the hurricane in my heart.

I walked towards the kitchen. I didn't bother switching on the lights. Knowing Sophie I was sure she was searching for a weapon.

But wait.

I don't know her anymore.

I was waiting for her to acknowledge me. Cry, scream, attack or do something. I knew she couldn't see me. But she surprised me.

"Xander, why are you sitting in the dark? Where is all the staff?"

So she did recognise me. I was sure my old Sophie was capable of doing that. She could recognise me by the sound of my footsteps. I was just not sure about the woman standing in front of me. She wasn't the woman I loved.

Without replying I started moving towards my study the only room on this floor.

"Baby, are you okay?"

The words any other day were enough to calm me down. Her voice always worked like meditation for me. It could calm me down anytime anywhere. I heard concern in her voice. The same concern my old Sophie had. But I couldn't believe this woman. I knew better than that. It was all a facade.

After that she didn't say anything and quietly followed me to the study.

As soon as I took out the file I could see fear in her eyes. So she really did this to me. I could feel she was afraid. Probably afraid of getting caught.

"I want a divorce."

She looked at me as she had seen a ghost. After a pregnant pause she voiced out her thoughts.

"Wh..hy?"

I threw the file towards her. As the file landed in front of her the photographs scattered. I looked at her. She studied the photos and I studied her. Her eyes, her hair, her nose, her lips, her soul, I loved it. I love her. And at that moment I decided to believe everything she says. Even if she lies I will accept her. I just wanted her in my arms. I will accept anything she says. I can't live without her.

But the more time she took to deny them, the more restless I became. And it became all more clear that she did cheat on me. All I could feel at that moment was disgust and hatred. With every second I was loosing hope.

Next she said something which shattered the tiniest bit of hope in my heart.

"Is this the only reason why you want to divorce me? No other except this?"

Her face void of emotions. She didn't even repent cheating on me. And that made me furious. Was she really asking for more reasons? Was this not enough or she had done a lot more than this and it is just a fragment of lies she goes on spewing all around.

"Is this not enough you whore? What else can I expect from a slut and a gold digger like you! I knew it from the start that all you showed was just a facade. Your innocence, kindness, it was all fake. I just don't believe how can I be so dumb."

I wanted to hurt her more than she hurt me. I wanted her to feel the pain. I wanted to break her heart. I wanted her to feel sorry.

But she did not say anything. She smiled. And for the first time today I saw an emotion in her eyes. She was hurt and in pain. Though I wanted her to be hurt but it broke me more. And just as fast as it came it disappeared again.

I never knew she was this good at masking her emotions. I always thought that she is the easiest person to understand. Her eyes gave everything away. But now I could see the truth. She had fooled me for years.

She simply turned and walked away.

Sometimes when you try to do something good for someone your mind is always occupied with the thoughts of your own. You often overlook the signs given by other person. I have always read that don't let anger blind you but I feel it is equally true for happiness and excitement. We tend to overlook the obvious signs when we are too happy. Refrain from making judgements about a person on mere facts. Because when we make a conclusion, our brain moulds the information in a manner to give the fact more impact.