Chapter 10

Sophie pov

A piece of paper can't decide your future but can definitely ruin your present.

I am not talking about report card.

But the divorce papers.

I walked towards my car in the garage and placing the luggage in the trunk and some in the backseat moved towards the driver seat.

I still had a necklace that he gifted me on our two year anniversary. It was a small ruby with an intricate design of gold. But I could not return it to him. It meant too much to me.

This necklace was my calm in the storm. Whenever I was scared or nervous I would just hold the necklace and it would miraculously calm me down. Maybe it was piece of our love.

I still love him. And I will always do.

Can love happen twice?

Maybe it can.

Can I fall in love again?

No. I can't.

I can live with his love for hundred lives. I don't need more.

Looking for the last time at his mansion I drove towards the hospital. I had already informed my colleagues about my resignation at night and they will be meeting me for lunch.

Giving the resignation was more difficult than I thought. I had to go through tons of formalities and finally by lunch I was free.

Though I didn't get the salary for this month.

Perks of leaving your job at last minute.

I had lunch with my colleagues, successfully tossed there questions on my abrupt decision and headed towards the hotel to check in for the night.

But I had no idea where I wanted to go now. I did not want to go to my parents house. Also I didn't want any of my family to know about it yet. I already had so much on my plate. I had no energy for another round of questioning.

One thing was for sure that I didn't want to go to city. I wanted to settle down in a village. Remembering that I called a very old friend of mind hoping she would remember me and not disconnect the call without even hearing me out. And she did remember me, gave me her village's name, also made accomodation for me to stay there and spoke to the village head for a vacancy in the village hospital.

And the only thing I could think of was 'God was surely with me'.

An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great. So just focus, and keep aiming.

So, now I am going to launch into something great. Lets shoot for the moon. Even if I miss I will land amongst the stars.

Its been three weeks and a lot has changed. I have settled down in the new village Woodslock. It is an hour ride from Santa Fe.

I did speak to Thomas once. Just the day after I left. I finally changed my number as I can't ignore anyone and I don't have the heart to talk to anyone associated with him. Also I can't lie and pretend to be happy in front of my loved ones when I clearly am not.

The people in Woodslock were very welcoming. Also being a doctor earns you respect without any effort. And being a doctor from city earns you a respect which is at different level.

I had already purchased a house of my own. It is a small house more than sufficient for me with a small garden in front and lake at the back. The view of the lake during sunrise and sunset from my floor to ceiling window is beyond words.

I have already started my job at the hospital and these people are paying me quite handsomely.

I always have people who volunteers to show me around the village. This place is heaven for those trying to overcome a heart break.

Do I miss him?

Every day.

Every hour.

Every minute.

Every second.

I miss him a lot.

I wonder if he misses me too.

Tomorow is Xander's birthday. No matter how much I want to wish him, hug him, kiss him, I won't be able to do that this year and all the following years. But I think my gift will be delievered to him. I hope he likes it.

But I won't be able to take him to the cottage. Patterns were almost restored but I hadn't ordered the piano.

It doesn't even matter now.

I wish heart could be programmed like a computer. We could edit our emotions and delete the ones we don't want. But I think pain is necessary. It is something that makes us feel alive. Will you like forgetting your true love which caused you pain or prefer living with the memories that made you happy?