Chapter 71 - The First Task

______________________________________________________________________________

Scars like wings.

______________________________________________________________________________

Dragons.

The first task would involve dragons. The pithy certainty of that hit Betelgeuse with force the morning of the first task on Tuesday.

In the previous week, she had been so busy with assignments, essays and her duties as a Prefect that she had failed to talk to Harry even a moment about dragons and the danger they posed.

Dragons were monstrous, winged, fire-breathing reptilian creatures. Able to fly and breathe fire through their nostrils and mouths, they were one of the most dangerous and hardest to conceal beasts in the wizarding world. The British Ministry of Magic classified them as XXXXX, acknowledged wizard killers that were impossible to train or domesticate.

Thinking about their dangerous nature, Betelgeuse felt a pang of guilt about not helping the boy out. She was heartened only by the fact that Harry had as his best friend a brilliant and resourceful witch like Hermione.

"Bel, why are you staring around in silence?" George inquired as they made their way outside the castle.

"Staring and taciturnity are my most cherished qualities. You know it, George," Betelgeuse replied, arching a brow.

"You're a bit pale, love," Fred added, caressing her cold cheeks.

"You look like a wreck," George declared with finality.

"You certainly have a way with words, George," Betelgeuse huffed.

She watched the twins wander around the crowd of students collecting bets on the winning champion, whatever the task would be.

The atmosphere in the school was one of great tension and excitement. Lessons had been stopped at midday, giving all the students time to get down to the dragons' enclosure — though, of course, they did not yet know what they would find there.

Betelgeuse was dressed warmly, but the November breeze reached her and chilled her body. She followed the long serpent of students around the edge of the forest and saw that a tent had been erected among the trees, its entrance facing them.

Loud roars filled the air as they approached the tall stands of a newly erected stadium. Whispers and murmurs arose from the students.

"Bets! Place your bets!" Fred and George shouted as they made their way through the stands and towards Betelgeuse.

"Bets taken! Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen!"

"Fancy a flutter in today's bloodbath, laddie?" George asked a second year, eyeing the boy with a vulture-like gleam in his eyes.

Betelgeuse imperceptibly smirked as Fred patted the boy on his back. "Smart money on Fleur's victory."

A sound near caught Betelgeuse's attention. Lee was opening a box of Cauldron Cakes with urgency. "Waiting makes me anxious," he declared.

Betelgeuse chuckled and looked down to the centre of the stadium as the crowd began to cheer.

Cedric had come out of the tent to face his dragon; he raised a fist in the air to acknowledge the applause.