70 Wake

Nora~~

Charlie's gone, and Pace has the anima pinned under him. He groans, blood seeping through the back of his shirt.

I rush past them for the holoscreen, scanning it to see where she left off in the program. She was close. Only a few more keystrokes.

I make the gun in my hand vanish, otherwise I'd have to set it aside, and I don't want anyone appearing and using it against me.

I pick up where the anima left off as if I were taking over for another gamer at the end of a level.

"Wake Nora," Pace grits out.

I don't have much time.

"Nora, stop."

I ignore him.

"You all want to leave."

Almost there.

"Your dad wanted to as well."

His words make me hesitate, my fingers freezing in the air. "My father gave me to you," I say.

Keep going.

The voice causes me to shake my head and type in the last commands. Hitting enter, I wake the master dreamer.

Letting out a heavy breath, I turn, looking down at Pace who has propped himself up, leaning against a desk. The anima stands, heading for the holoscreen to restart her loop, but I imagine her no longer here, and she vanishes.

It's done. The master dreamer will wake up. I'll wake up.

"No one is going to dream of Somnia unless they want to," I say to him.

He glares up at me. "I was right. You are a Class One."

He presses his watch and disappears.

Resting my back against the wall, I take in the control room, littered in holes and Pace's blood smeared on the floor in front of me.

I'm going to wake up. My pulse hammers through me as my future shifts course.

It's time for us to wake up, Nora.

Us?

Wait—

My ears ring, the constant hammering against the bookcases gone, though the shelves still tremble.

I step forward. There's not a sound from my foot hitting the floor.

As the room begins to fade, I glance down at my hands.

Seven fingers. 

I'll see y'all on the other side. Unless, of course, she's not waking up.