XXXIV

Falsify

Falsify

Everything went back to normal. People began to get busier because of Christmas. Everywhere a person looked, he would see different decorations and lights. Citizens wore big and thick clothes when going outside. Kinds of music could be heard by the big speaker in every street of Arsace.

Ashanti sipped her hot chocolate drink while looking at the maids decorating their living room with a Christmas tree and some figurines of Santa. It was traditional in Arsace that even old people still put childish displays on their home when the said holiday came.

She also saw the gifts under the tree. They were complete. Every member of the family should give gifts to each other. There was no exemption for her gift to Calista. She eyed the green box which Maeann wrapped as her Young Miss' gift for her step-sister. Her eyes turned a full circle and went upstairs.

She remembered giving Calista a cage full of live rats when she was ten. Calista cried and her father scolded her for doing such a thing. It went viral but people defended her. The privilege she got.

It had been a day since she last met Kalen. That was also the last time they talked to each other. She could not blame him. It would be awkward if they talk again after the cut-off. They were fooling their selves if they still chat the way they used to.

Pagkatapos nila maghiwalay, umuwi na agad siya. Ang gaan nun sa kaniyang pakiramdam at nakangiti siyang bumalik sa mansyon. It was the best option she had, and she chose it not only for her good but also for all people around her.

She took out the notebook she used to answer the questions. All of the questions were answered as 'Kalen', but the last question made it turn the table. She answered her name.

Since young, Ashanti was loved by people, not because of herself, but because she was the heiress of Rossault. From a very young age, she distinguished the difference between fake, platonic, and romantic love. She knew it from a glance whether a person was sincere to his admiration or not. She did not mind it, what she did was use it to be superior to others. She knew they would give her anything because they 'love' her, whether true or not.

Then Kalen came. He was the only person who she saw genuine to what he was doing and saying. He was the first person she could lend love to. Day by day, her feelings grew, and she promised not to break them forever.

It became her downfall when Calista and Kalen met. Blindly looking at the situation and quickly responding to what her step-sister was doing in the dark, Ashanti lost herself. She became an empty soul, trying to bring back the person who had her love.

That was her mistake from the beginning. She kept saying she would forever be the queen and had the crown, but she was not even qualified for it. She was weak. She was easy to wreck. She did not have the characteristics of a true queen.