6 : A Good Morning

𝕆 𝕒 𝕜 𝕝 𝕖 𝕪

February 20th, 20xx

I groaned as the light entered my room. The thin blankets we hung as curtains didn't block any sunlight. But what were we supposed to do with a low budget? I'd just have to manage for now.

"Oakley, do you mind going to the corner store to get some milk? Your sister likes her cereal when she wakes up and you know how she gets it when she doesn't have it," my mom said as she stared at me at the threshold.

"Yeah, just let me get up real quick. How long have you been up?"

"Since five this morning. I figured since Willow didn't have class, I had time to settle everything else in. I left the money on the counter. There's extra in case you think we need something else. I'm going back to bed while I can. Love you."

"Love you too, Mom," I smiled at her.

Leaving my room, my mom's footsteps turned lighter as she neared their room. Although I said I would get it happily, I threw a tiny tantrum. There was not a single weekend morning when I could roll back over and sleep or do nothing. I didn't mind but I also didn't like it.

I hurried to brush my teeth and change into new clothes before I took the money and left for the convenience store. The bright sun was too much. Having just woken up, I felt tormented because I woke up quickly and then rushed out. Inside the convenience store was a person who woke me right up.

Somer.

We had spent most of the past week becoming friends. It was strange, I never had a friend near my age that I could relate with. It was nice and I wanted more friends like her. Was there anyone else who was queer, seventeen, and didn't have a close mind in Fresno?

"Oakley, what brings you here?" she asked when she was turning to leave.

"Milk, it was closer than the store. And you?"

"Gum. It's a weekend routine. Hey, are you busy today?" she asked as she followed me around the tiny store.

"Uh, I don't know. I woke up within the last thirty minutes. I don't think I have plans but I need to hurry, my sister is bound to wake up soon," I said.

She watched as I paid for the milk and coffee. Somer wasn't one to pry I had noticed. She existed to be there for a breather, like a humidifier for a sick person.

"Where are you going?" I asked when we arrived at my apartment.

"With you. After you put the milk in the fridge, hurry up and get ready. We're hanging out today."

You're not even going to ask?

"Somer-"

"Oak, hurry up! She's awake and ready for cereal!" my mom called for me from up the stairs.

I looked at Somer. She waved at my mom and within the next few minutes, I was in the shower with Somer and my family eating together. How had that happened?

The shower was quickly done, I didn't like taking showers in the morning but I had fallen asleep early last night. When I got out, Somer and my sister were laughing. I hadn't seen my sister laugh since we got here. She missed her teachers like I missed my friends.

"Hey, are you ready?"

"Almost. Come with me," I said as I nudged my head in the direction of my room.