Chapter Nineteen

The drive back to Storybrooke from New York seemed to have doubled since the last time she took that trip. She knows it was her anxiety induced mind playing tricks on her and the ride wasn't nearly as long but she was an utter mess. She was an overhyped ball of static electricity, worrying whether or not Emma and their baby would make it without any permanent damage because she knew in her gut, this was all the result of magic. 

Magic always comes with a price.

How could she have been so stupid?

They didn't arrive until two in the morning and at that point, Regina was simply running on adrenaline. Snow and David offered to take a sleeping Henry back to their apartment for the night, promising they would bring him to the hospital first thing in the morning if Emma was still submitted. Dr. Whale met Regina and Emma at the hospital and like Ruby promised, there was a room all set up and ready to go for her.

Dr. Whale completed a thorough examine, per Regina's request, but he already knew the answer once he was informed the baby was conceived via magic.

"Regina, may I speak to you in the hall?" Whale requests as casual as ever with his fists comfortably lounging in his white coat's pockets.

"Of course." Regina stands from the chair beside a very droopy-eyed Emma. She moves to kiss her girlfriend on the forehead but freezes when her brain sternly reminds her they are back in a land with magic streaming throughout every inch of town. "I'll be right back," she croaks out instead, ignoring the pout around Emma's mouth from the lack of affection.

She scurries out the door in Whale's footsteps and firmly shuts the door behind herself to avoid Emma accidentally overhearing something she really shouldn't. She folds her arms across her chest to protect herself from a blow that will inevitably cause destruction upon her sad little life...like always.

"Well, let's have it," she clips, observing every detail of her former enemy's blank face.

"I think you already know. That baby needs to be here to survive. It's no wonder that she has survived this long without magic fueling her system. Maybe Emma's magic was slowly leaking from her in New York but as your baby grows, it's simply not enough. She needs magic to thrive, she's too powerful," he plainly says and she could choke him for being so nonchalant about her baby's life.

"Yes, I had a feeling since she was produced from magic," she admits, clenching her biceps extra tight to keep from breaking down completely in front of this man...in front of Emma. "And what happens when she's born? Will she need to be in a land with magic to survive?"

"To be honest, I've never met a baby created in such a way, however, I don't believe that will be the case. I believe she needs magic right now to grow inside the womb, much like a baby feeding from the mother. I think once she's fully developed she won't need magic to survive. Emma is very magical, yet, she has survived most of her life in a world without magic. I truly believe it's just for now while she's still developing."

"I see," is all her mouth can mutter while her mind races to process everything. "The question is, how am I going to convince her to stay here the rest of her pregnancy?" She murmurs mostly to herself but since it's only the two of them in the hall, the pompous ass before her decides to add his two cents.

"Blue came up with that memory potion, give it to her," he so carefully suggests, causing her upper lip to twitch in annoyance.

"It's not that simple," she seethes.

"It is that simple, but who am I?" He sarcastically quips before he stomps away, clearly agitated from the rude interruption in the middle of the night.