We Need to Talk

*HIATUS WARNING* I want to give y'all a heads up that there will be one more chapter update next Friday (June 25th), but after that I will be taking a mini hiatus during the month of July. I'm planning to join Camp Nano, and so rather than spending time each week editing and posting, I want to focus as much energy as I can on binge-writing some new chapters and seeing if I can outline a potential path towards an ending for this fic. I'm aiming to start posting weekly again at the end of July, if things go according to plan.

I feel bad doing this, but I'm also proud as hell of myself for giving y'all 9 weeks of consistent updates. I also think taking a month break from updates to map out the direction I want ID to end up in and trying to write as much of it as I can during Camp Nano, so that y'all can then continue to get weekly updates (hopefully until it's over), is a fair trade-off. So please don't hate me *sweats*

That being said, this chapter sets up what will be a doozy of a next chapter, so buckle up.

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

When arriving back down on the third floor, you decided to make a quick pit stop at your room to gather a change of clothes and soap before heading to the shower room to refresh. Sure, you could've used Negan's shower, which would've been much more luxurious, but you didn't want to impede his morning anymore than you already had. Sometimes you forgot how much he had on his plate, but the almost constant interruptions and calls for him to attend meetings and supply runs were reminders that, unlike you, he couldn't do whatever he wanted for the first half of the day.

Also, if you were being extra honest, your emotions were in a bit of turmoil from the rollercoaster ride of events last night and this morning. He had gone cold on you last night, shutting down and not wanting to discuss the supply run or even really be touched. And while he still had felt emotionally a bit distant this morning, the physical distance had definitely been lifted. However, you still weren't sure how to react to him brushing off your offer to talk things out, and needed some time away from him today to gather your thoughts.

Showered and refreshed, you folded Negan's green shirt and tucked it into your bin of clothes. Much as you wanted to wear it all day, you also didn't want to get any stains on it while working. Leaving your room, you took a different route through the compound, rounding a few corners and entering a section of the third floor hallway on the opposite side of the building, where Ben's room was located. You had told him yesterday in the kitchens that you'd speak with him today, and what better time than now. Breakfast was over, and there was still a few hours before dinner prep, so hopefully he'd be free and expecting you.

When he opened his door and saw you standing there, his face lit up. Since his roommate was also in the room, you both decided to go outside and find a spot where there were no listening ears. The sun was bright and intense, and Ben immediately wandered around back of the Sanctuary, towards the gardens. Walking among the rows of plants, you watched as he stopped here and there to check out some of the tomato plants and fresh herbs, before diving into conversation. Since you didn't want to hog the time with Negan worries, you instead started with a more lighthearted topic.

Checking for the dozenth time to make sure no one was within hearing distance, you said, "Soooo, you and Simon? I want details. Spill."

Ben's cheeks flushed, perhaps partially from the hot sun but most likely because of the mention of the tall, cheerful Savior who had been taking up so much of his free time. You had already noticed Simon stopping by the kitchen "to check in" more than needed when Negan was gone, but you listened intently as Ben told you about the afternoon he had randomly joined in on making the chocolate cake for you and Negan's date. You unsuccessfully tried to stifle a giggle when Ben said how he had almost dropped the cake ingredients about a dozen times out of nervousness. The oblivious fool had still been convinced Simon had no interest at that point, and thought he just liked messing around with Ben's head and seeing him act out of sorts. Your chuckling turned to a shocked gasp when he recounted how Simon had then made his intentions very obvious by pressing the shorter man into the kitchen counter and tracing Ben's lips with leftover chocolate icing before kissing him. Ben didn't give many more details, but you had a feeling that more than just the oven had heated up after that.