20. The Rainbow Boa (Sai)

I let the monotonous roar of the falling water, its pleasant coolness and Dey's closeness draw me into the world of bold dreams. I imagine us kissing for real. I almost taste his lips. I am sure they are firm and demanding, but also gentle and loving. He can be rough, but I have seen his tenderness too.

   I lean on the rocks behind me. My body relaxes. I close my eyes and smile, knowing that he is right next to me. We do not need to hurry. Our whole group will spend the rest of the day and the night at The Third Shelter. It is the last stop before we reach The Capital. We shall be at the city gates at noon, if we leave early in the morning.

   I was thrilled to sleep there as a child. The forest is dangerous after dark, so the dwellings are built high on the branches of the enormous trees. They can be reached only by rope ladders which are retracted after everyone is accommodated. The assembly hall is situated in the center of the camp, among the broad crown of a century-old oak tree. Each house is connected with it by wooden suspension bridges.

   We used to take the journey at least once a year, starting from the farthest northern point of the kingdom, crossing the desert, travelling through the grass land and the forest all the way to the sea shore at the farthest south. Father called it The Crossing. He wanted to know everything that had happened in his lands and also his vassals to know us, his children. We stopped at every city and every village on our way, paying our respects to each tribe. I know that everyone wanted most of all to see me. People kissed the hem of my robe and threw rose petals everywhere I stepped. They called me 'the blessed child', believing that I had brought them luck and prosperity. This is the first time in ten years I do The Crossing again.

   I wrinkle my nose. There was something about the forest. I remember father scolding me once that I had taken my clothes off to dive in a pond. But why? 'Naked bodies emit pheromones,' he said. 'You should be always with your clothes on and never kiss or hold your beloved here.' Oh my God! Suddenly it emerges from the depths of my mind. This immediately attracts...

   "Saaai," I hear Dey's scream before the memory became clear. "Ruuun!"

   It's too late. A smooth, scaly skin slides around my waist and I am pulled out of the waterfall and lifted above the surface of the lake by a serpent that is twenty feet long at least. Its wet body, as thick as my thigh, is glimmering in all the colors of the rainbow. It is long enough to hold effortlessly both me and Dey in a noose. He is close enough to touch me if he stretches out his arm.

   He reaches out to me, yelling, "Take my hand! I'll pull you out of its grip."

   "No!" I shout back. "Don't touch me! Don't move! This is a rainbow boa. It won't harm us if we stay still. It's only attracted by our warmth and fragrance. It will let us go. We shouldn't threaten it."

   "Are you sure?" he asks doubtfully. "Its mouth is big enough to swallow us whole."

   "I am. It's not predatory. It feeds on fruit." I smile to give us both courage, although my heart is racing wildly. I have seen tame specimens several times, but never a wild one. The fact that the animal is rubbing its enormous head on my hair is not helping at all. I somehow manage to add bravely, "It will let us go. Just wants some cuddles."

   "Are you insane?" Dey's gazing at me as if I have lost my mind. "Do something! Wave your hand and make it float in the air and let us go!"

   "Sorry!" I mumble. "I can't focus my energy right now."

   A loud growl comes from the shore. Harda is circling nervously close to the water, unwilling to wet his paws. He finally bares his teeth towards our kidnapper and decides to attack from the air, slowly rising above the ground. The flapping of his wings and the menacing snarl startle the snake and it starts to move.

   "Dey, tell him to stay down. He'll scare the boa. This is not good. This animal can also..." Before I can finish, two huge, ethereal, transparent wings unfold from under the serpent's scales and it rapidly flies off to the sky, narrowly avoiding the collision with the furious bat.

   "I can't believe this," Dey gasps, staring down to the ground which is already far beyond us. "I'm being carried, bare-assed, by a giant, flying snake God knows where. I was praying for it to release us until a few seconds ago and now I'm praying that it won't drop us. Where do you think it's taking us?"

   "I think it's following the horses," I utter. The frightened horses are galloping in the direction of the camp while Harda is raging at the back, mad that his wound is not allowing him to catch up with the boa which is elegantly writhing between the trees.

   I see in horror all my sisters, the soldiers and the rest of the caravan on the big meadow in the middle of the forest settlement. Everyone's attention is attracted immediately by the chase. The girls start to scream, pointing at us. The blood withdraws from my face. Harda manages to scratch the tail of the serpent at this moment. It releases us with a loud hiss, darting ahead to avoid the pain. We are too high. The impact with the ground will injure us seriously or even kill us if I don't do something. I brace myself and focus. It's difficult, but the stream of energy finally warms my hands. I direct it at Dey and we slowly land in the circle of people.

   "Sola, where have you been?" Lila yells, dashing towards us. Dai Silis immediately covers her eyes, grumbling, "Don't look, girl! They are stark naked."

   "Prince Dey is so handsome without clothes," another girl squeaks, also hushed by my eldest sister who is glaring reproachfully at us.

   "Boys, put this on. Quickly!" Queen Ayria is running towards us, holding a bunch of clothes. I've never seen anyone dress as fast as me and Dey.

   "What is happening here?" Father's voice silences the giggles and the gasps around us the very moment we're done. He and Kind Dorth are approaching to see what all the fuss is about.

   "Oh, a wild animal frightened the horses," the queen answers smoothly. All my sisters start nodding in agreement.

   "What animal?" Kind Dorth asks suspiciously.

   "I think it was a rainbow boa," Lila chirps obligingly. "It tried to eat the horses, but Harda chased it away."

   King Dorth looks at the bat proudly. Harda, who has just landed nearby, is grunting angrily, unhappy that the snake turned out to be faster than him.

   Father snorts, barely holding his laughter.

___________________________________

A/N

Hello at the end of chapter 20!

Thank you for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

Do you think king Unufrail and Sai's sisters guessed why the rainbow boa decided to 'cuddle' with the princes? 😀

Was there anything else interesting you noticed during this encounter? 😉

Next Special is coming. Can you guess what it is going to be about?

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny