20 | lobelia

1711, Aethiel Palace, Kestramore City

It has been over two weeks. It is still raining. The city of Beaummiers in particular was affected the worst. The crops were absolutely destroyed, and the livestock had all drowned to death.

Although the people of Beaummiers had a prince governing them, they were far better off without him.

The late Queen Celestine had three sons, the prod and noble Guillaume, the quiet and erudite Anatole, and the disappointment of the family, John the drunk lecher.

Prince John spent his days completely intoxicated while bedding multiple women at a time, and although he was blessed with remarkably good looks, his debauched lifestyle left him looking ugly and demented.

Everyone knew that Prince John never had the intention to marry, and though they showed disappointment on the surface as was expected of them, deep down they all thought that the Prince's disinterest was a blessing in disguise.

The lady that married him would become very, very miserable indeed.

When Prince John suddenly showed up at the palace, they all thought that the cowardly prince was simply running away from his duties, not wanting to deal with the aftermath of the flood. But when a young woman exited the carriage after him, everyone was stunned.

    She was visibly very young, around the ages of the ladies in the Choosing Ceremony, one of whom would one day marry the Prince's nephew. Her sleek, shiny light brown hair was padded with horsehair to create a magnificently tall hairdo, and her dark green eyes had a glint of greed as she looked up at the brilliant Aethiel Palace that lay before her.

          "Come, sweet Eufemia," Prince John said, holding out his hand for the young lady to grasp on to.

She glanced at the Prince and nodded curtly. Unbeknownst to him, she felt disdain and disgust every time she looked at his milky blue eyes, rotten teeth and bloated stomach. But he was her ticket to wealth and riches, so she had to tolerate him whether she liked it or not.

           "Of course, Lord Husband."