Chapter 1 - George's Sacrifice

"She's going to do it," Fred whispered to his brother, lurking behind a corner.

"I told you, she's perfect for the job," George whispered back. 

"Yeah, but she was protesting for 3 days." Fred tried to defend himself.

"It's a new product and we didn't tell her what exactly it does. Of course, she was protesting."

"We don't even know what it does, George." Fred tried rolling his eyes to keep the chuckle in his throat. They couldn't risk getting caught.

"You know that she'll murder us both if this goes wrong." George didn't dare to look at his twin. He knew that if they lock eyes they will start laughing.

"What are you two good-for-nothing rats sneaking around my office for?" The twins turned around to follow the voice. Their faces were pale and if they thought the whole situation was funny before, they definitely didn't think so now.

"Theo, he's on to us! Run!" They said in unison, trying to avoid eye contact with Filch, whose face was getting redder by the second.

"Done! What are you two shou..." The girl that joined them didn't finish her sentence. She might've needed a second to realize there was one person too many standing in the circle.

"As we said..." Fred mumbled.

"Run!" George shouted, desperately trying to find something in his pocket.

Fred grabbed the girl's hand before she could properly look at Filch who was now grinding his teeth together in anger. There was a loud crackling noise and when the trio turned around to see if Filch was following them the hallway was getting stuffed with dark grey smoke.

"Do you have the map, Fred?" George panted, his hands on his knees.

Fred, who was trying to see if Filch ran after them, shook his head. "Theodora has it."

They both looked at her while she searched the inner pockets of her robes.

"Here it is!" She exclaimed.

They stuck their heads together, George sneaking a look around them just to be sure no one was watching. They took out their wands and tapped on the map while saying we solemnly swear we are up to no good.

The empty piece of parchment revealed the map seconds later.

"Right, where's the nearest escape passage?" Theodora ran her finger through the map, the twins scanning it with their eyes.

"Around the corner," Fred whispered.

"But Filch can already be there," Theodora said, concerned. She pointed her finger at Filch's name on the map. The footprints were getting closer to them. "Do you still have any smoke pastilles?"

"Just one more." George's hand was already in his pocket as he was trying to find it, his tongue stuck out in concentration. "Got it!"

"Let's go." Fred waved his hand at his two friends after checking if the coast is clear.

The trio tip-toed around the corner, George ready to throw the pastille if needed. Theodora was clutching the map, following Filch's every move. He was getting closer and it looked like they will meet right where they are supposed to enter the passage.

"He's going to see us," Theodora said through her teeth, trying to stop her jaw from shaking.

They did shenanigans like this all the time but Filch rarely got so close to catching them. He only did so 3 times since the twins invited her to tag along to one of their adventures as they called it. Fred and George took the blame each time but the last time they were caught, Snape got in their way and they couldn't lie to McGonagall that Theodora had nothing to do with it.