Foreigners in Mondstadt

Dedicated Chapter Poem:

"I don't know
where I'm going
from here
but I promise
it won't be
boring."

~David Bowie~

No one was quite sure when the two sisters arrived, but everyone in Mondstadt remembered their first encounters with Rubianne and Roseline Lariviere.

For Outrider Amber of the Knights of Favonius, she'd met the two sisters while practicing for her gliding championship, having almost crashed into the younger sister Ruby. She had apologized over a thousand times to the very angry older sister, Roseline, who preferred to go by Rose.

Roseline was tall and slim, with a pale face that showed little emotion other than contempt. Her hair was a pastel pink that was always tied in a near and delicate braid the reached down to her waist. She often wore a white military-like uniform with knee-high black boots, tight black shorts, and a sword on her at all times. On her shoulder she wore a guard with a , shining a symbol that many people in Mondstadt seemed to think was strange, yet Rose found it quite normal.

Rose wielded the element of Dendro, allowing her to spawn roots and plants around her and ensnare enemies. Yet it appeared at the time that she was the only one in Mondstadt who could wield this element, despite there being elemental slime-like creatures made up from the same element all over the land.

Ruby, her younger sister was "visionless", meaning that she didn't control any of the elements, and often Rose denied her sister any access to a weapon of any sort; even a wooden bat.

"As long as you're within the city walls, you have no need for a weapon." Rose would always say.

"Why won't you let me leave the walls alone?" Ruby often asked.

"The world is dangerous, Ruby. If anything were to happen to you...I wouldn't be able to bear it."

There were countless excuses for Ruby rarely ever leaving the walls of Mondstadt's inner city, and even more excuses for being able to leave Mondstadt and traveling to other regions of Liyue, Snezhnaya, Fontaine, Sumeru, Natlan, or Inazuma.

"Good morning, Donna!" Ruby greeted almost everyone in town on her daily errands, bearing the kindness and brightest smiles anyone had ever seen. "One bunch of Cecelias please!"

Despite being friendly, there were many people Ruby had yet to meet in Mondstadt. She kept to a scheduled routine since they arrived almost a month ago, and was rarely allowed to leave the house as Rose was still uncertain about life in Mondstadt.

"There you go," says Donna, handing over the bunch of white flowers.

Ruby took the bunch in her hands after paying and giddily strolled down the street. She stopped a few buildings down to take a good look at the local tavern. "Angel's Share. Huh. Wonder if they have anything non-alcoholic."

She didn't linger for too long, as the drunkards singing off-tune before her swayed her enough to leave. She walked back up the stone steps to the Knights of Favonius headquarters and calmly opened the door.

"Jean?" She called for the "acting grand master" of the Knights. Their true grandmaster, Varka, had apparently been gone for a while, long before Rose and Ruby had settled in Mondstadt. Ruby wondered if she'd ever get the chance to meet him.

"Lisa?" She called now for the beautifully terrifying librarian who happened to be Ruby's favorite Knight so far, as she, too, loved books. Yet, no response from either women.