Chapter 25

Jalal looked forward to the march. It was planned to advance slowly. Hunts were supposed to be organized along the way to his delight. Surely he could also spend time with his beloved elephants. He was chatting animatedly with Abdul. He told him that he had received a message from Amer. Abdul was surprised. He didn't expect the Rajkumari to write back. He promised Jalal that he would read the letter to him at the earliest opportunity. The next days passed like that. Not a day went by that wasn't when large numbers of Tadiks and Turks did not come from Kabul, and Kandahar and do homage to the shahenshah. Jalal got more and more bored with every troop that appeared in the camp. Stoically he endured the homage. Then he mounted his horse and stormed out of the camp with Abdul and a small group of his guards. On the back of his horse, he felt released for a moment from the rigid corset of the courtyard. When they returned from one of these rides, Jalal and Abdul met in Jalal's tent. Jalal ordered something to eat. After they satiated their hunger, Jalal took Jodha's letter from his box and gave it to Abdul. He unrolled the message and looked curiously at its contents. Just two lines. Presumably the Rajkumari had solved Jalal's riddle. He began to read:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The light illuminated the darkness

It made things shine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ahhh!" shouted Jalal enthusiastically. She solved the riddle! But I didn't expect anything else. Give me the letter quickly! "He ordered. He picked up the letter that Abdul handed him and went to a candelabra whose burning candles provided a pleasant light in the tent. He carefully held the document over the candle and waited. He didn't have to wait long for brown dots to form into letters and slowly to form line by line. His eyes started to light and a satisfied grin spread across his face. Abdul stood next to him and was just as excited. After no more characters were visible, Jalal presented the letter to Abdul. Abdul started to read. Jalal listened breathlessly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pranaam Shahenshah,

Your riddle gave us a bit of a headache. But we were able to solve it in the end. We knew the secret of the hidden writing. What a good idea!
We are sorry that our response caused your disappointment. We were unsure about the mutual connection. But your letter showed us that we can accept the ring. Let us tell you the following ... We had a strange experience with the ring. One day we had an urgent need to put the ring on. We were very restless. The ring on the finger became warm and calmness spread within us. What does it mean? Yet another experience happened to us. We were injured in sword practice. We again had the urgent need to put the ring on. Once again we were given a deep calm after putting on the ring. We carry ourself with the thought it has something to do with the rings. Who knows what higher powers be capable of? Can they weave an invisible bond? We don't know. At the end it is a pleasant thought! May we ask whether such strange befalled to you too?
We heard of the battle of Mewat. Are you doing well? Let us inform you that the pigeons are doing well and that they have arrived safely and healthy with us. We hope our pigeons find your approval. A word about the messenger.... He takes his duties very seriously. He behaved in an exemplary manner.

All hail
Rajkumari Jodha

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He was dumbfounded. A slight blush crept over his cheeks. This did not go unnoticed by Abdul.

"Do you like her?" He blurted out teasingly with a big grin. He couldn't contain himself. To his big surprise Jalal did not flare up but answered softly:

"I don't know Abdul! I feel an inner connection with her. I can not explain. She accepts the ring and, as she writes, she too has the feeling that an invisible bond is woven between us. She describes something similar to what happened to me. She describes a warmth that seems to emanate from the ring and how a strange restlessness spreads in her, which turns into a deep calming feeling. It was the same with me at the battle of Mewat and a few days ago during the elephant fight."

Abdul looked at him and whistled through his teeth in surprise.

"What are you saying?" he said flabbergasted. "I do not understand...?!"

"Don't laugh at me Abdul, please. I can't explain it to myself." Jalal spoke softly with pressed voice. "During the fight in Mewat I suddenly felt a strange warm, soothing feeling. In my frenzy I didn't really notice it. But in retrospect, it felt like an invisible feather-light comforting touch. Also when I sat on the elephant before we left, my left hand began to tingle and the ring seemed to give off a warmth. But this time I got restless and only after a while did this calming feeling spread inside me. It actually seems to be related to the rings"

He was silent. Abdul sat with his mouth open and thought about what he had just heard. What a story Jalal had told him!

"Mh, maybe you can write to her and ask when this happened to her. Maybe it was the day of the battle? Then you would know whether there is a connection." As unbelievable as it sounded, who knew what kind of things the Almighty was accomplishing in his wisdom.

Jalal looked baffled.

"You... you don't think I'm crazy? You don't mock me?" he asked unsure.

"No, as you described it, it's not just one of your crazy ideas that you came up with."

Jalal was speechless. "So you believe me?"

"Why not? Who knows what things the Almighty is planning for us," he said slowly. "Write to her, so you can find out. But who do you want to send to her with a message? Fadhil didn't come with us, did he?"

"No. I left him in Delhi with other instructions. But I have something better," Jalal grinned at him.

Abdul looked inquiringly.

"The day before we left, Fadhil didn't just deliver the letter." He paused.

"Now tell me!" exclaimed Abdul curiously.

"Rajkumari Jodha sent me 5 carrier pigeons" he blurted out triumphantly. "And they are in my luggage."

Abdul started laughing.

"You two are amazing" he said quietly and incredulously! "You have to give her one thing! She dares something! A brave young lady!"

"That's exactly what I like about her!" Jalal blurted out softly.

"You see!" He said teasingly "You like her!"

"As I say, I don't know. There's something I can't grasp! Enough now!" He said harshly! "You will write a letter for me. But not today. I am tired. Let's go to sleep. Shab bakhair Abdul!"

"Shab bakhair Jalal!" Abdul went to his night camp. Jalal lay awake for a long time, thinking about Jodha's words. He looked at the ring, the stones of which sparkled in the weak light of the candle next to his bed, and fell asleep shortly afterwards.

To be continued...