Colours

Scarlett and Zen witnessed a gang of creatures moving towards them. They had two legs and a pair of arms. Many emerged from the forest. The number multiplied. As they came closer, they had pretty eyes and fluffy lips.

They were humans.

The men and women clad in run-down cloaks had blood-red tapes tied to their skulls. Little kids who were half-naked strode before them with huge crimson banners. The elderly men clenched spears and knives and sticks. Men and women marched towards them like intoxicated wild beasts.

When Zen raised his head, he saw men blasting those huge trumpets, some reared their arrows at them both.

"We are harmless!" Zen raised his hands as evidence.

'What is up with all these colours' Scarlett's brain asked her.

"I suppose we should have drowned in the oceans, better than getting whipped and devoured by these beasts! Let's die in peace, run!"

"Zen, NO!! STAY"

Her darting eyes detected a frayed white ribbon stuck in the thorns. Its edges were engulfed by the green undergrowth. Scarlett was sharp to bend over and untangle the tape from the spikes. She fastened it around her forehead. Scarlett stood in front of Zen, shading his tall figure.

At this moment, the trumpets paused bellowing through the woods. An aged man, dressed in a wine-spilt cloak stepped out from the furious crowd. Two young men with spades and chains followed the elderly man. The old man carried a royal, dreadful aura. The wounds on his face showed he was a warrior in his youth.

"Do you come in peace?" His cold voice wrecked their brain. Scarlett took two steps ahead in an attempt to cover Zen. Certainly, both were bewildered by his English with a touch of his dictatorial attitude.

"Yes!" She rooted her eyes into his.

"Not you, lady, I addressed. You have tied the band of peace. The fella behind you shall answer."
Scarlett moved to the side, revealing an awkward Zen.

"Yes, yes, I do too."

"Then tie this." He pulled out a white ribbon from the depths of his purple cloak pouch. Zen instantly wrapped it around his forehead declaring peace.

The giant man turning towards Scarlett fell on his knees. He brushed the mud on the earth, staining it on his palms. He rose and said, "the dust on this pristine earth, my people around are witness to this: we trust you and are welcoming you to this island!" He then dusted the dirt on Scarlett's feet.

"I'm Opeul, the caretaker of this island!"

Scarlett reflexively stretched her hand out only to pull it back with remorse.
"I'm Sally and this Ayden." She slapped herself internally at the name she just christened Zen with.

Opeul paced back towards the crowd, crunching the leaves behind. Among the people, solely the small lad with mud smeared everywhere wore sandals and that looked like cement blocks.
Opeul yelled something to the crowd. The spears and weapons were hauled down. The atmosphere turned into a warm friendly one. Tension drained from the faces. Yellow tapes and banners were tied. Mustard emblem inched every corner. The islanders donned a welcoming smile at the young lasses.

"Come on over!" Opeul shrieked from afar.

"That was close!" Zen said adjusting the heavy gear he was carrying. Of course, he was carrying all the weapons.

"Thank me!" She tossed her hair back.

"And thank Opeul more for his sympathy!"

"My timely action erupted sympathy in him. Or else someone would have been drowning in the ocean by now, Zen!"