Chapter 17: ᴛʀᴜᴛʜ

We don't communicate can you not say what's on your mind

And I see that every day you hide the truth behind your eyes

Honestly, there's no need for you to hide

Talk to me, can't you see, I'm on your side

"Honest": Kodaline

"Angel, I already told you a few times that I had to use the name Zen to hide my identity" Zane began to explain and I nodded

"Angel, I already told you a few times that I had to use the name Zen to hide my identity" Zane began to explain and I nodded. Both Kaden and Jake decided to go out to leave me and Zane to talk.

"Well, I'm actually undercover. I am on a secret mission to get to someone" He clenched his jaw and closed his eyes as if the thought of that hurt him.

I didn't interrupt him and let him continue.

"I work for the government; our department doesn't actually exist. We are not CIA nor FBI. It's a classified department that unfortunately I cannot explain in more detail due to my oath. My team and I specialize in catching drug dealers and human traffickers. Some of us like my case, work directly on the field undercover. We blend with their people sometimes for months or years just to find the main head. The main heads of these gangs are usually well hidden and difficult to find. My mission this time is to find a human trafficker. For the past months, I've got involved with the track race and the people there to gather information". Zane paused for a second to look at me and see if I was following him.

"Here is where your sister comes into the picture." I was surprised by this. What did she have to do with all of this?

"She is involved with a man that has a direct connection to the main head. My boss suggested getting closer to your sister to get to that man. There were only two options to get information from her. Either enchant her or interrogate her. If we chose the latter it wouldn't be pleasant and it would raise suspicion. So, getting close to her by enchanting her was less suspicious and seen more like a normal hookup between two drunk young people. That's why when you saw me kiss her, I was actually doing my job. I wasn't into her nor I was interested in her. Just doing my job." Zane looked into my eyes while saying the last part. He was trying to make sure that I understood that part.

Without realizing I found myself asking. "Does your job require to do that often?" I broke eye contact and looked down to my feet. I was too embarrassed to look at him.

"No, it's the first time I was requested to do that yet if I had a girlfriend or someone at that time, I would not have done that. I would never cheat on my woman even if it's for a job. My mother thought me better." He said.

"Angel, look at me," Zane said softly and I obliged.

"I don't do casual hookups nor do I go around sleeping with every woman. I was and still am very selective with the woman I choose to sleep with. I was a teenager once and I made stupid choices but I would never make a woman think she is used. I always made clear what my intentions were and where it would lead." His eyes never left mine and that was a clear indicator of truth.