Chapter 30: ᴊᴜsᴛ ʏᴏᴜ

I wasted all of these days and nights

Trying to chase all these empty highs

But I had go to my worst so

I know that I just needed you

"The truth": James Blunt

I ended up sleeping next to Zane

I ended up sleeping next to Zane. He hugged me the whole night which helped me gain strength.

I was still in denial. It was hard to accept the truth. My real parents were dead.

"Why do you think she did that, treat me like a burden?" I asked Zane while we were having breakfast.

One of the few words I said since we got to his apartment.

"I'm not sure but it could be resentment. Maybe, and I'm assuming here, she didn't want to take care of you." Zane said. His eyes looked mine as if he was trying to see if his words hurt me.

"That, I'm sure of. Without knowing the truth I already thought she didn't want me. The difference in attitude towards me and Sarah was too huge to ignore it. But I wonder why she accepted to take care of me"

Did they do it already knowing that I was left with a will that had money? Were they aware of that beforehand?

"Baby, I'm not sure what to tell you. The cases that I deal with usually involve the whole family. It's very strange that a direct family member has no relation to their wrongdoings. As if you've been purposely left out of that world."

"It is strange. I find it weird too. But what bothers me is the information missing. There are a lot of plot holes in this story. Why did my biological father leave them to take care of me? Why did they hide the will? Why did Derek ask for money for years if he didn't need it? Why did Greta hire me? Did Sarah know that I'm not her sister? And that's just a few questions but there are a lot more. I feel like I'm not the main character of my story. I was completely left out."

Zane rubbed his jaw thinking.

"KatKat, I think it would be a good idea to talk to Derek about it. Given that he's the one that's more involved in the case and also the one who benefited the most from the will, it's better to ask him. In two days you'll have to testify. That day the judge will make the final decision. I'll get you some time alone with Derek after the trial."

"Thank you" I went to his side and gave him a peck.

"Are you going to thank me like this every time I do something for you?" He asked suggestively.

"Well, that depends. If you want this to be a thing then yes"

"Fuck yes I do"

After that, we spent some time together.