Part 47

When they eventually make it back to the house - four hours later than planned, due to a diversion on the highway because of the snow - Conrad is relieved.

Driving isn't her favourite thing to do, even when it's in good conditions, and snow and ice make her heart go cold. She prefers to be a passenger, unless the weather is bad, then she prefers to be not driving at all.

"Straight to bed. I think we've both had a long day," Carlos laughs uneasily, rubbing his eyes.

"I agree with that," she sighs, looking at her watch.

It's 11 pm, and they both have work in the morning, which propels her out of the car at the thought of it.

"Take it easy," Carlos frowns, hurrying around to her side to give her a hand.

"I can get out of a car myself," she raises an eyebrow, walking towards the front door with her bag in hand.

"I know that, but I want to be helpful," he mumbles, unlocking the front door.

There are tiny battery-powered candles lining the hallway, and Carlos avoids her eyes as they walk in.

"Glad to see you weren't joking," she decides to say after a minute, walking towards the living room.

It's become her dumping ground for her bags, especially when they get in later than usual.

"Surprise!" Charlotte screeches, bouncing to her feet excitedly.

She was sitting in the dark, and Conrad has such a fright at the loud noise and sudden movement that she screams.

Carlos sprints into the room, his wolf taking over immediately.

He shifts as soon as he gets to the room, snarling at Charlotte, who looks terrified.

"It's just Charlotte," Conrad breathes after a minute, her heart racing.

"Yeah, it's just me. Your parents are on the way with Marcy; they'll be here tomorrow," Charlotte announces, taking Conrad's bag from her.

"Why are they coming? Why are you here?" Conrad asks, her tone coming out ruder than intended.

Charlotte stares at her for a moment with a frown, shaking her head.

"You may have been in the hospital all day, but I'm not afraid to shake sense into you," she says pointedly, waving her finger around.

As soon as she speaks, Carlos is growling quietly, standing in between Conrad and Charlotte.

"Why are you here?" Conrad asks again, her face set in a hard scowl.

"Carlos called me up here to surprise you. For a surprise," she says carefully, looking around the room, which is covered in lights and petals and confetti.

"I know about the surprise. He was going to propose. Why are you still here?" She asks, and Charlotte stares at her.

"Seriously, Con, stop being a bitch. I'm here because you're my best friend and you were in the hospital. I'll talk to you in the morning," Charlotte scowls, storming past her and walking up the stairs.

Carlos shifts back as soon as Charlotte is out of view, a frown on his face.

"Con, you were pretty rude to her," he points out, picking up the scraps of clothes on the floor.

"Carlos, why was she here? Why didn't she go home?" She asks, folding her arms.

"Because she loves you and was worried. I wouldn't let her go with me because I didn't know what was wrong, and I would have torn her to shreds on the three-hour drive. She wouldn't stop talking, and my wolf doesn't like talking when he's worried," Carlos explains, looking somewhat irritated.