Chapter 10: Next Assignment

Hope you all enjoy the chapter! It is a bit shorter, but it is mainly plot building and what not. Thank you guys for sticking around throughout my inconsistencies, I deeply appreciate it.

"(F/N)? You in there?" You hear a voice ask.

"Yeah! Give me a minute." You call back. You flip a few switches inside of the Mako before climbing out of it, seeing Tali standing just outside. "Tali! What's up?"

"I uh...thought you might be hungry since I did not see you at dinner." She says shyly, holding out a tray of food.

"I guess I did miss that." You laugh, smiling at the quarian. "Thank you Tali."

"It is no problem." She replies as you take the tray from her, setting it onto the table behind the Mako. "So! Is there anything I can do for you? Armor holding up well?"

"Yeah! Great actually!" She replies as you take a bite of the meal. "I uh...I did find something sitting in the engine room though."

"Oh? And what could that be?" You ask before taking another bite.

"Just uh...suit of armor."

"I mean this is a combat ready ship so you know...kinda need the armor." You reply sarcastically.

"Ah yes armor for all of the quarians that are stationed on this ship." She says as she crosses her arms. "You know anything about it?"

"Maybe I do, but maybe I do not." You say back, a smirk on your face. "Think that it could useful to you?"

"It will be hard for me to change my armor, but if we are able to find a safe place then it should be." She responds.

"Good. I am glad to hear that." You reply with a smile.

"Where did you get this from though? Quarian armor is not something that you can just buy at any vendor on the Citadel. It is normally special ordered or super rare."

"One of the scientists on the asteroid gave it to me. Said it was a "token of appreciation" for our efforts."

"Nothing for you or Garrus?" You take another bite of food and shrug in response. 

"Meh well you know..." You say through a mouth full of food, causing her to shake her head.

"Thank you (F/N)." She says shyly.

"Got to keep the team safe." You tell her. "Can't have your armor getting ripped then being out of commission because you got the sniffles.

"Oh ha ha very funny." She replies. "How are you holding up? You took a beating down there?"

"Few bumps and bruises. Will probably wake up sore in the morning. Got the shiny new armor Shepard got me a little dirty. Other than that, seem to be doing well." You reply with a smile.

"You should probably rest. I think the Mako repairs can wait, or maybe Garrus can work on them." She suggests. 

"Garrus will just run gun calibrations. I am the one that has to work on the armor...and everything else." You reply.

"That is true." She giggles. "You should relax a little bit though. You do not need to burn yourself out."

"Well Ms. Work on the engine all night has no room to talk." You say back to her.

"It is a fascinating piece of machinery! There is nothing like it in the Fleet. Not even close to it!" She exclaims, joy filling her voice.  "You are staring." You shake your head and look back at Tali.

"I...what...?"

"You...just had this look on your face as I was explaining the intricates of my homeship."