Return From The Island

I was taking a shower upstairs when I heard Caroline, Tyler and Klaus working on clues downstairs for the cure. Klaus figured out there was only one dose, which he obviously immediately told Rebekah.

I got out of the shower, blow dried my hair and got dressed before entering my bedroom. I got to my mirror and almost had a heart attack when Klaus' figure stood in the doorway behind me.

"Nik! Ever heard of knocking?!"

I could see the amusement in his smirk.

"Hold up- how are you here?" I realised.

"I fear something awful has befallen your friend Bonnie."

Suddenly I became very conscious of my breathing as it kept speeding up. My palms felt sweaty and my lungs felt like they were running out of oxygen.

The anxiety of the possibility of something bad happening to my friends while I'm so far away from them was hitting me. I was so scared of losing even more people in my life. I felt so useless.

Klaus grabbed my shaky hands in his and rubbed small, soothing circles around the back of my hand. "It's okay, love. They'll be back soon. It's gonna be fine."

I felt so pathetic. I'm a vampire, I shouldn't be getting anxiety attacks but it's something I suffered from since I was young. It's one thing that has stuck with me through my transition. Luckily, I only experience them rarely but they still tend to happen.

I pushed myself into Klaus' chest and he immediately knew to wrap his arms around me and run his fingers through my hair.

"I-I'm sorry, I don't know what's going no with me."

"Shh. Don't apologise, love."

-

After I managed to calm down in Nik's arms, Caroline asked me to help her clean up the blood in the kitchen.

Klaus has already left and Caroline and I were scrubbing the floor until the front door opened.

We both stood up to greet them. "Hey, you're home. We were trying to clean the burn mark where Kol-"

We both froze seeing Stefan carrying Jeremy into the house.

"-We couldn't get the spot out."

I desperately listened for any sign of life coming from Jeremy, but there was none. Not even a single heart beat. Stefan slightly shook his head, confirming my suspicion.

"Come on. Let's get him upstairs." Elena stated calmly as if her brother hadn't just died."

I didn't move from my spot as Stefan and Elena went upstairs. I could feel my hands trembling more than before and the tears streaming down my cheeks. My knees felt like they could give in on me at any time and my heart ached for another person I have lost.

Caroline placed a hand on my shoulder but I shrugged it off, I didn't want to hear her pity right now. She took the hint and walked away, knowing it's best to leave me alone.

It wasn't long until Stefan came back downstairs and I still haven't moved an inch. All the pain from Kol and now Jeremy was making me feel completely numb to it.

Stefan gave me a sorry look as he walked past me.

"How long has she been like that?" Caroline asked, dumping the bucket of water into the sink.

"Ever since we found his body. She hasn't said anything except that she's waiting for him to wake up."

"But he's not going to wake up. She knows that, right?"