𝟎𝟏𝟑 | FATHER DEAREST

HELL HAD broken loose by time they'd made it back to camp, the screams and groans of walkers were the first signs of that. Mya's eyes frantically scanned the area, searching desperately for her mother and Sophia. They had to be here, they had to be okay. She didn't think she could forgive herself if something had happened to one of them while she wasn't here, after her mother had asked for her to stay. 

Some of the walkers were already dead by time they'd arrived, which was confirmed by the sight of Shane and Dale using the very few guns around camp to protect its members. Mya could only pray her family had also been protected. Rick and the others, now fully armed, were able to assist them, something Mya would've done under different circumstances, if her attention wasn't completely on the safety of her loved ones.

The fear that stabbed at her ribs eased off momentarily as she ran further into camp, eyes landing on her mother and sister. They were alive, thank God. That fear soon made its return in full force as she noticed the stray walker they were trying to escape. No. She wasn't going to let this happen, not to them.

"Mom! Sophia!" She called out, sprinting over, prepared to do whatever it would take to defend them. She should've stayed, this was her fault for leaving.

The walker swung forward, grabbing onto Sophia, who let out a blood-curdling scream that sickened Mya. She saw red and aimed her gun, firing until she finally got the walker in its head. She didn't care how much ammo it took, she didn't care that her ears were ringing, she didn't care that she flinched after every shot, she cared about saving Sophia.

Once the walker was dead, Sophia came rushing over, in tears. "It almost got me!" She cried out as she ran into her older sister's arms.

Mya wrapped her arms around her tightly, wanting to shield Sophia from the horrors of the world. "You're okay, baby, you're safe now." She reassured her soothingly, yet guilt still plagued her relentlessly, "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry I wasn't here."

The screaming from the other side of camp still hadn't ceased, but Mya refused to bring herself to even think about it. They could deal with it later, she had her priority for now. She reached for her mother's arm, guiding both her and Sophia, who clung onto her, towards safety. Whatever could be classed as safety now.

"Mya! The RV! Now!" Shane grabbed onto her shoulder, swivelling her around into the direction of the RV, where the surviving members of the group had banded together to fight.

He didn't need to tell Mya twice, she immediately followed after him, constantly checking to make sure her mother and Sophia were both nearby. Another walker shuffled over, teeth snapping and groaning at them. Mya fired her gun again, the bullet missing and instead lodging in its neck. She backed away, preparing to shield her family until another bullet fired and the walker dropped to the ground. Mya turned to see Shane had shot the walker down.