Chapter Twenty-Seven: Dubious

(Y/n)'s POV

Seconds passed by with a drop of the rain, the clock ticks in every step that I took from the narrow chamber walls with each stride coming from left to right. No one had came to fetch me, or gave me a bit of information of what's happening.

The unease I felt was relinquished when I was stopped in a bolt by a knock on the door. I opened my mouth, ready to ask for who it was but sealed my lips closed in an etching feeling.

Another knock was heard but I only backed away slowly with sweaty palms pressed against my lips to cover up my breathing.

A minute had passed, my body was frozen still with a speedy heart. Surely if it was Aleksander he would announce himself, but he wasn't.

The knock suddenly came to a bang, making me flinch and back myself from the corner of the bed, "I know you're in there, my dearest (y/n). Please come out," I heard a muffled tone of voice from the other said, confirming that it was Nikolas.

The knob began to twist and turn while I heard dangles of metal clicking against metal. The doorknob twist one last time before it opened, he stepped inside and scanned his eyes around while I duck my head down. I heard the door closed with its fading footsteps, feeling relieved of the miracle that had happened, I looked up.

I gasped, panic striking me like a wagon as I saw Nikolas looking down at me while he laid there on the bed just beside me. "Found you, my dearest (y/n)." he whispered lowly, touching a strand of my hair. "I wish you never did." I replied back, standing up while I smoothened the wrinkles of my skirt.

He got up in front of me and pulled me towards him, wrapping his arms around my waist as he dug his head to my neck. "I...I'm sorry, my dearest (y/n). I was not near from sober, and I shouldn't have made myself such a fool in the ship. Maybe then, would it never happen." Nikolas stroke my hair gently, his breath tickling my neck.

Nikolas whispered his apologies in a hush, the room fell quiet and I could do nothing but feel remorse and shame. My feeling were all whirled into a doubt. I sighed to myself, letting go of the war I had created in my head.

I pulled him closer, resting my chin to his broad shoulders while I combed through his blonde locks. "It was an unpredictable event, Nikolas. I should have listened to you." I finally answered, his grip loosening away as he gazed up at me with tears coming down from his cheeks. To see him in such state surprised me, for I never saw this side of him.

He didn't look like the prince I first saw in the ball, he looked far from the blinding crown. An ordinary boy who was chosen by the crown, a boy who had no one to clung to in times of need. But what do I know, for I never knew him from beyond.

"Will you...will you stay with me?" he asked with meaningful eyes, darting through as to seek for an answer to his inquiry. "Of...of course." I answered back with a nod, hesitating to form those words.

He let go of me and caressed my cheek, the pitiful eyes that was once there vanishing into thin air. "I'll make sure nothing will ever get in our way again, my dearest (y/n). No matter what it takes, I'll banish them." he smiled, as if punishment wasn't ordeal.

I felt like I was standing in front of death himself, unable to linger freely without chaos. What will become of me? Will I die from his own arms? a uxoricide. Never have I thought would I be inside the castle walls, and I am still in disbelief for I had always thought of myself to being a spinster.

"To go through great lengths to punish people...will that give you satisfaction?"

"As long as you're within my arms, I care no longer of those people, my dearest (y/n)."

Nikolas answered briefly without a hint of emotions from each words, his blue eyes were only fixated on me with his hand that caressed and stroke my cheek lightly with a touch. "You're cruel and a crook, your highness. I believe that you lied to me." I pressed my cheek further to his warm hand as he glanced back up to meet my eyes.

He raised a brow with a puzzled look, "And what is that I had lied about, my dearest (y/n)?"

"That I had to be married to the devil himself." I answered to his inquiry, making him chuckle. He tore his hand away from my cheek and pulled me close, our faces inches away from each other while he looked through my (e/c) eyes.

"I can set fire to those around you and call it rain, my dearest (y/n). What more can I do when I have the crown?"

("I could set this world on fire and call it rain." is from king's cage I believe from the book series Red Queen that is written by Victoria Aveyard. I only altered the dialogue a bit. It's an amazing series and I really recommend reading it.)