Chapter 31

Derek's POV

It's been nearly a week since I last talked to Danielle and I've been in a bit of a daze. My life has fallen into a continuous rut of sleeping at the shelter, wandering around New York City and trying to keep my nose clean. I was expecting to run into that Asher kid but unfortunately I haven't had much luck.

As I exit the shelter for the day, I pull out my phone and see a reminder for a real estate seminar.

I totally forgot.

It doesn't start until 9am so I have about 2 hours to make my way across town. I glance down to see what I'm wearing.

A black pea coat, a tee shirt, dark pants and some brown shoes. I also have a black backpack that u got from the shelter. It's not my most charming look but it will have to do.

I hop on the blue line subway towards Manhattan and get off at L street. I find the building where the real estate seminar is going to take place, then I find a small coffee shop next door where I can wait.

"What can I get for you?" the girl behind the counter asks when I approach.

"Just a small hot chocolate," I say back. I have to be careful about how much money I spend. I only have $800 on me. There's about $1200 more stored in a box under my bed at Danielle's but I need to forget about it. I'm not going back there.

A couple minutes later, I grab my hot chocolate and take a seat near an outlet. I plug in my phone and open up my messages. While I haven't talked to Danielle in a week, she has been sure to text me every day.

Monday: Hope you're okay. Miss you.

Tuesday: Thinking about you & how bad I messed up. Miss you.

Wednesday: I really want you to come back home.

Thursday: These texts are delivering so I hope you're at least seeing them. I really miss you and want to talk. Call me when you're ready please.

Today she sent: I think you could at least send me a text back.

It's her first sassy text and I can't help but laugh a little. She's not wrong. I could at least text her back.

It's been a week and I'm definitely less heated now than I was when it all went down. I don't think I'll ever want anything to do with her again but I at least want to give her some peace of mind. Plus, if I'm being honest with myself, I would like to have that $1,200 in my pocket. And I need to give her this stupid phone back.

I push the thoughts to the back of my head as I realize it's 10 minutes to 9. I need to head into the seminar.

Danielle's POV

"I counted the till so we can get out of here and get some drinks!!" Lizzy says excitedly. "Let's get this Friday night going!"

She drops the money envelope on the kitchen counter and grabs her purse.

"Let's count it again," I say as I open up the envelope.

"Why?" Lizzy asks, slowly putting on her purse. "It's all there."

"Just wanna double check. Especially after last week." I pull out the large wad of cash as well as the receipts.

Lizzy walks up next to me. "I really don't think that's necessary. Let's just go get drinks. Anna is waiting out front."

"Lizzy stop." I look at the receipt total before counting through the cash. It takes me about 5 minutes to realize the pile is $100 short.

I close my eyes as I feel a wave of anger wash over me. It takes everything in my power for me not to pop off.