ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴇɴ: ᴘᴇɪꜱᴋᴏꜱ

【1.10】

10】

(n.) indoor fireplace coziness: the feeling of wellbeing obtained from enjoying the warmth of a fireplace.

♡♡♡

I had already figured I wasn't in the same place I had fallen asleep in. As I dozed in and out of consciousness, I could no longer feel the cool grass and small rocks, which had dug into my back and left a bitter ache. The dry and cool climate was replaced by a warm humidity. My new environment felt like a hug from nature itself. When I finally sat up, I beheld my surroundings.

Thick bark encased the room in a cave that smelled of earth. My body was on a soft moss, but the rest of the floor was dirt. Dark tunnels lead to what I assume is an intricate system. Slowly, I rise from the comfort of the moss, and step onto the dirt floor.

I'm appalled by how my muscles pain me when I stand. I stretch my body fully, and satisfying pops and clicks help relieve tension. As I'm leaning down to touch my toes, I espy a small pile on the floor. I approach it, and give it a small kick with my foot. The pile is plush, and I realize it's clothing. My clothing, to be exact. All of the excess layers I had brought with me had been taken off and placed neatly by the foot of my bed.

Whoever- or whatever- had found me didn't seem to be hostile. I look at my arms, and realize that the shredded clothing I was wearing before is no longer present. I lift the sleeve of the new shirt I'm wearing and find my arms to be wrapped in a white bandage. In shock, I move my hand to my ear, and feel gauze and bandage.

I smile wide, and run towards the exits of the room. With a newfound confidence, I choose a random tunnel and walk eagerly down the halls. I'm hoping to find my mystery host. Luckily, the tunnels are illuminated. With what, I'm not quite sure. I don't have long to question the abnormal glow. After a few minutes of wandering I smell something heavenly, and find a den of sorts.

There's a small fire going in the center of the room, and a pot rests above it. It's not a small room, but it's not quite as big as the dining room on the farm. The pot bubbles with a savory smelling soup, and my mouth begins to water. I haven't eaten good food in what feels like forever.

Edging towards the pot, I pick up a large spoon that had been set aside and lean down to dip it in the broth. I then pull it out and blow. As I'm about to take a sip, I hear a crack in one of the tunnels. I drop the spoon and stand quickly. I hear a loud shuffling in the same direction- whatever is coming here is coming here fast.

I let out a shriek and run towards the opposing tunnel. Had I been wrong about my host? Instantaneously, I run into something firm, but not quite solid. I hear a faint groan. Looking up, I see Sonju; its own surprise considering I thought I was hallucinating that night. I'm stiff as a board, and unmoving. What on earth am I supposed to do?

The demon looks down at me and sighs. Before I can fully process what's happening, his hands are under my armpits, and he's carrying me towards the den. I squirm and kick, but he's holding me away from his body, and I can't quite reach.

"Calm down, please." He sets me down by the food, but his hands remain on my shoulders. The pressure being a reminder that escaping is hopeless. In the den, there's a smaller demon. She moves diligently, mumbling useless nothings under her breath. Her supple fingers grasp wooden bowls and scoop in soup.

"You're hungry, I'm sure." She smiles and hands me a bowl. Her voice is gentle, and sweet. I scarf down the food alarmingly fast, and scoop more into my bowl afterward. The she-demon giggles and I blush. She wears a white dress with a navy shawl. The dress reminds me of a flower, with each layer resembling a petal. Her long hair is mauve, and kept in two loose braids. She's a very pretty demon.

"My name is Mujika." I take a break from eating and look up at her.

"You've already met Sonju." Sonju nods in acknowledgment, and continues to eat.

"Would you mind answering a few questions?" I don't mind. Honestly, I would be curious if a human child was out in the wild too. For the next hour, we eat and talk. Sonju or Mujika will ask me a question and I answer as in depth as possible. By the time we're all finished, the two of them know my life story, and I'm on my third bowl of soup.

"So that's it?" They nod. It's not like there's much to know about me, I just thought it'd be more painful to remember everything. It was brutal to experience.

"Can I ask a few questions myself?"

"I suppose that's fine. Go ahead." Mujika gestures with her hand. I ask a few of the things I'm dying to know. Why haven't you eaten me? It's prohibited in our religion (demons can be religious, that's something). How did you heal my wounds? A special salve made of the right plants. Why were you running here, Mujika? I forgot about dinner.

After five bowls, I'm full. I slide my bowl next to Mujika's empty one and prepare to ask more questions.

"How long was I out?" Sonju sets down his bowl and collects the others in a stack.

"About three days. Your infection needed time to heal properly." His answers so far have all been short and straight to the point. I have a feeling he wasn't expecting me to stay for too long.

"So, is there any way I can be safe out here? Any human civilization?" Sonju looks away, and Mujika fidgets with her thumbs. The two look undeniably uncomfortable.

"Well...no." Mujika cringes. She explains the deal between humans and demons and I feel myself deflate. There really was no hope for Isabella and I out here.

"You can still survive, I'm sure. Sonju tells me you have potential."

"So I can stay with the two of you?" Another tense silence. I start to fear I've finally gone too far.

"Temporarily." Sonju breaks the awkward atmosphere.

"I'll take you hunting with me. We'll see if you're worth saving." With that, Sonju departs, taking our discarded bowls with him.

Mujika moves in closer to rub my shoulder, and allows a nervous smile to graze her features. It's somewhat comforting, but I'm still worried. I lasted barely a day out there on my own. What could he possibly see in me?

"He doesn't know what to do with you. Neither of us do. Don't take it personally." She says it softly, but it still feels like a jab to the ribs. I'm a burden once again- it's a dreadful feeling. I can become useful. As soon as I'm self-sufficient, I'll be a burden to no one.

I reassure Mujika with a grin.

"So when does Sonju go hunting?"

♡♡♡

【Vault】

✘ Sonju and Mujika really had no idea what to do with (y/n). Sonju held her as if she was a piece of fine china, and Mujika refused to go near her for hours after healing her wounds in fear of tearing (y/n)'s skin with her nails.

✘ The soup that Sonju and Mujika made that night later becomes (y/n)'s favorite meal.

♡♡♡

WC: 1210

Mommy Mujika and Daddy Sonju have both been introduced. Ngl, been looking forward to it. They're two of my personal favorites. I would like to thank all of you for being patient with me while I was on vacation, and I promise, next time I leave town I'll try to bring my laptop with me. Make sure to check the announcements on my account for small updates n things!

Glad to be back,

rem