Ch. 11: Bride & Groom

"Seeking the Niceties of Marriage", Ch. 11: Bride & Groom,

June 20, 2021 by Gratiana Lovelace (Post #1392)

(An original Regency Romance story copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace, 2021; All rights reserved)  [(1) story cover above left]

[Illustrations: I cast my stories as I write them. So from time to time, I will illustrate my story with actors and such, including: Richard Armitage as Lord Edward Carlisle, Daniela Denby-Ashe as Lady Emily Creighton, Blake Ritson as Lord Kittredge Wells, Polly Walker as Lady Patience Creighton, Bill Nighy as Lord Nigel Creighton the Earl of Stoke, and others as noted.]

[Author's Note: This original Regency romance is a work of fiction, and as such, any character names, scenes or other descriptions were written at the creative discretion of this author. And this is a gentle and tender romance (G to PG-13), but with some frank discussions about love and marriage put to humorous effect. This is my disclaimer.]

Ch. 11: Bride & Groom

With not even 48 hours since Lady Emily and her father Lord Creighton, Lord Edward Carlisle, and Lord Kittredge Wells vanquished the danger from the unhinged George Lawrence that had threatened Lady Emily's and Lord Edward's wedding, there are still some lingering butterflies—or some would say dozens of them—resident in wreaking havoc in the participant's stomachs.

Yet this bright and shining Saturday morn at 10 o'clock, Lady Emily Creighton will be united in marriage with her love Lord Edward Carlisle. And Lord Kitt as Best Man Attendant for Lord Edward has made sure that Lord Edward is not kidnapped, nor escaping his wedded fate, and looking handsomely presentable in his new blue superfine jacket[,] ivory shirt, [gold] cravat, gold embossed waistcoat[,] buff pantaloons, and black leather wedding shoes. Lord Kitt is dressed similarly.

[P] In fact, the two best friends rather look like book ends. And with 1 hour until the wedding, the two gentlemen bide their time by playing cards in an antechamber at the Church—scandalous!--them having arrived in one of Lord Kitt's carriages, just in case Lord Edward's and Lord Creighton's grooms and blacksmiths had not found and repaired all of the tampered with carriages that needed it.

However for the ladies—namely the Bride Lady Emily Creighton, her married older sisters Lady Portia Fitzgibbons and Lady Ione Melville as her Matrons of Honor Attendants and their mother Lady Patience Creighton—everyone has been a flutter since 6 o'clock this morning. First there was a light breakfast of fruit, egg, and toast with tea to be had together by the ladies en famille in Lady Patience's large boudoir. Lord Creighton has absented himself from the ladies, for now, and taken himself off to do whatever Father[s] of the Bride do just before the wedding.

But after the light breakfast, Lady Patience dismisses her elder two daughters to their guest rooms to take their baths before getting dressed in their gowns, whilst she has a little marital chat with her youngest daughter Bride, Lady Emily.

Lady Patience: "Now my Dear Emily, it is time for me to have a little chat with you about your marital responsibilities."

Lady Emily: "There is no need, Mama." Lady Emily smiles brightly.

Lady Patience: "No need? Never tell me that you and Lord Carlisle have anticipated your wedding vows?" She asks aghast, wondering when her daughter could have slipped away chaperoned. Ah, yes, their cousin Lord Kittredge Wells supposedly joined them for ices the other day.

Lady Emily: "Mama! Of course not! It is just that my sisters Ione and Portia came to my bed chamber last night and, well, they explained it all to me." Lady Emily's face is both blushing and paling at the same time—so innocent is she.