Ear Piercing Guide

WARNING!! Piercings are not for everyone so don't think you need one because your friend had one or just because they're popular. Piercings do hurt and take lots of time to heal so do be forewarned.

...

About Me:

I have double lobe piercings and am hoping to get a tragus, conch, and forward helix soon. I got my first lobe when I was one and I just recently got my second lobe. I don't remember getting my first lobe so I can't really say much about the experience except that now (13 years later), I can leave earrings out for quite a while and the holes won't close up.

Since I just got my second lobe about 6 weeks ago I remember the experience quite clearly. I did go to Claire's to get them done although I definitely recommend going to a real tattoo shop if you are getting any kind of cartilage piecing because the cartilage could shatter if you get it done with the gun. Tattoo shops pierce with a needle and are much gentler than Claire's.

Anyways, I just went in, picked out which studs I wanted to get them pierced with, and they did them (but of course since I am not of age, my mom had to be there with me and sign the papers for me). On a scale of 1-10 for how much it hurt I'd say it was probably a 3. It stung at first but the pain was gone in less than a minute.

When you get a piercing at Claire's they give you a bottle of their piercing cleaning solution and say to clean your piercing 2-3 times a day. I'm not great at remembering these types of things and I cleaned them almost every morning and night for the first two or three weeks but then I started forgetting and probably cleaned them once every other day for the other couple weeks. I know. I know. I'm a horrible person and should've cleaned them like I was suppose to but oh well.

They say to leave the earrings they pierced them with in for 6-8 weeks but within 5 weeks mine were fully healed and I was able to change the jewelry. The earrings that were in the holes while they were healing came out very easily and when I was putting in the other pair of earrings, in one ear it went in easily but with the other I put a tad bit of Neosporin on the earring and it slid right in.

——

About other piercings:

There are many other ear piercings you can get and I have inserted a picture diagram that points out most of the places you can get a piercing. One thing the diagram does not show are gauges, or stretched ear lobes. Below I have found the pain levels and healing times for all the piercings on the picture.

- Rook -

Pain level: 5

Healing time: 6 months

- Forward Helix -

Pain level: 7

Healing time: 6-12 months

- Daith -

Pain level: I found where some people said it was just a pinch and some people said it was the most painful piercing they've gotten so it depends on your pain tolerance how much this one is gonna hurt

Healing time: 3-6 months

- Tragus -

Pain level: comparable to ear lobe piercings; 4

Healing time: 4-8 months

- Inner Conch -

Pain level: 4

Healing time: 6-12 months

- Anti-tragus -

Pain level: (couldn't find a pain level)

Healing time: 4-8 months

- Transverse Lobe -

Pain level: (couldn't find a pain level)

Healing time: 6-8 weeks

- Helix -

Pain level: (couldn't find a pain level)

Healing time: 6-8 months

- Industrial -

Pain level: (couldn't find a pain level)

Healing time: 6-12 months

- Snug -

Pain level: (couldn't find a pain level)

Healing time: 8-12 months

- Orbital -

Pain level: (couldn't find a pain level)

Healing time: 6-12 months

- Outer Conch -

Pain level: 4

Healing time: 6-12 months

- Upper Lobe -

Pain level: 3

Healing time: 6-8 weeks

- Standard Lobe -

Pain level: 2

Healing time: 6-8 weeks

...

If any of y'all have any of these piercings and want to share any stories, tips, or whatever you want to share, feel free to post them in the comments! Also if any of you have a piercing listed that doesn't have a pain level let me know how painful it was for you so I can make this chapter even better!