1. The forbidden room

She was standing in front of large dark oak double doors.  The intricate patterns carved on them gave a royal look, but screamed of a mysterious aura. Her eyes could not stop themselves from admiring the beautiful carvings in the dark background. Her gaze wandered over and stopped at the large brass handle that looked heavy by the size. It was polished to such a finesse, that it appeared to be of gold.

She gently placed palm on the handle and a shiver ran down her spine when the cold metal touched her already clammy skin. She had to exert enough pressure to pull down the mighty handle to let the doors open. The doors opened smoothly without a single creak, and she halted at the threshold for a moment before taking a step inside.

The room was void of any light, submerged in total darkness, except the dim moonlight peeping in from the windows. The first sensation was a strong smell of mixture of jasmine and sandalwood, something that one might find at a temple. It was like someone must have burned a few incense sticks and the room was filled with the strong aroma. It was divine yet a mysterious experience.

She looked back at the open door, trying to decide whether to run away or stay back and give a chance to explore the future. She decided to stay back and inhaled a sharp shaky breath. She looked around the room trying to figure out the layout of the room that was engulfed in darkness. The moonlight helped her to analyze the silhouettes of the furniture, a large king size bed was placed I center of room along with a loveseat and a small coffee table. The room appeared  to be scarcely furnished for a size this big.

She took a few tentative steps towards the loveseat and settled herself. To say that she was surprised would be an understatement. There  was no dressing table, no closets, no study table, and not even a television in the room. She wondered if this room is even in use. But she was too distracted for the moment to think about anything else. Her mind was right now filled with anxiety and fear. Fear of taking responsibility of married life, fear of being a good human being and daughter-in-law, fear of being able to share herself emotionally, physically and above all fear of facing the cold hearted devil Kabir Dhanrajgir.

The name itself was enough to send the cold chills down  to her toes. But she was now married to this Joint CEO of SD GROUP OF COMPANIES. This was an arranged marriage, not that she had someone in mind and not that she was in position to have a love relationship. She was too occupied by her studies and career that she never had time to waste on a relationship that needed emotional investment. She was informed by her father about the alliance and was married off to Kabir in a lavish ceremony. Though lavish, the event was a small intimate affair for family and close friends. Parents on both sides insisted of all the auspicious rituals of wedding to be performed at the stipulated time.

Kabir took the meaning of word 'arranged' literally and figuratively. He did not once try to see her or meet her before or after the engagement. Not that she had very high hopes, but somewhere in her heart she wanted him to ateast look at her and
appreciate by another glance. But it seems it was too much to ask for.

She saw him for the first time in person at the engagement. He was dressed in a off-white sherwani with light blue stole, that matched with her light blue full sleeved lehenga. He held her hand gently while sliding the ring in her finger without once looking at her. He did not bother to say a goodbye before leaving for the night. She silently waited for a dinner date, then a casual call from him. But nothing of that sort ever happened.

Then she saw him at the wedding where he was offering wooden chips to the holy fire when she was made to seat next to him to perform further rituals. He was patiently doing everything he was asked to, and she was feeling her unsteady heartbeats. Her hands were cold and mind was running a hundred marathons. Then suddenly a her veil was lifted, he looked at her, gently moved her mathapatti with ring finger of right hand, filled her hair patition with vermillion and moved back the ornament as it was. He was asked to put the mangalsutra, which he did again as gently as he could. They stood up for the feras and he engulfed her long slender hand in his large one. The wedding was last time she saw him that was the day before. And now she was here to face him again, with lot of dreams and hopes for new life. She was still engrossed in her wedding memories, when footsteps halted at the threshold of the room.

*****************

This was the first chapter. How will be her encounter with her husband?