~Chapter 37~

I wanted to cry but apparently even that didn't seem to soothe down my heartache. Wiping under my eyes softly, I continued drinking from my glass of wine. That's what I've been doing now for two days in a row. Drinking, crying and partying with my sad, overwhelming emotions. I couldn't believe that my life transpired into this.

Never in my whole life did I think that I'd come to hate New York city since it's one of my favorite places. Or at least, it used to be. Now I wished that my dad would have chosen DC itself as his destination for the wedding.

It was like just moments ago I was enjoying my life with Skye, job or not but that one phone call changed it all. Or even worse, everything had changed even before Skye had received that call.

Skye was phoned by one of the PR team members of his dad, telling him that the news of me, as in Valerie Jones - though spotting April Glow with Skye at the gala event - hanging out with him even after getting fired by the very same institution was spreading like a wildfire. And the worst part of it all? Someone had somehow leaked the information of Skye being voted out of his own company and Ms. Maxwell resigning just after that.

The whole American media has been jumping inside the hullabaloo since all of these events were occuring in a quick succession at one of the biggest companies.

And that was not even half of it. I was being blamed for everything that was happening and my low self esteem couldn't agree more. I was in the lowest pits of them all. I was... broken into tiny little pieces and didn't know which one to pick up first to mend myself back again.

"I think... you should stop seeing my son, Ms. Jones." Jonathan Williams' words came ricocheting through the walls of my head like an annoying newscaster.

Those mere words had me thinking about that incident from two days ago. After that foreboding phone call from Jonathan Williams' PR team, we were both asked to meet with him the very next day.

My world came crashing down on me or at least that's what I'd felt, to say the least. Under all the circumstances I had imagined to meet Skye's dad, that had not been one of them. It was even worse than the walk of shame. But then again, how would I know? I'd never had to endure such a thing before.

That day of sitting in front of the person I idolize the most and staring into his humorless jade green eyes was beyond mortifying. I was staring at my lap the whole time while biting my lower lip. Skye was sitting beside me on the same plush couch.

I had not paid attention to the detail of his parents' house nor did I know if it was a simple house or a mansion. My mind was just occupied by one thing - how did the pictures get out and who could be behind this all?

"Ms. Jones," Mr. Williams had begun in his polite tone. His voice was comforting but I could feel my insides shaking like a leaf. At that point, I had even forgotten that I was his biggest fan. Maybe I was too embarrassed to even think about it.

Mr. Williams was in his mid sixties with a bald head and silver beard. I couldn't tell much about his facial features but it was evident that he has aged fine. However, unlike Skye, his eyes were jade green and that day, they were anything but happy.

How am I even supposed to make eye contact with him? I thought but looked up at him anyway. Both he and his wife were sitting on the opposite couch, sporting a no-nonsense look. There was not a single ounce of belligerent attitude surrounding them because the concern in their eyes for their son was plain as day.

Skye, who had been silent the whole time, decided to intervene with a harsh look directed toward Mr. Williams. "Dad. It's not her fault," he said, his tone filled with heavy conviction.